1177 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

Suppose that I have one plugin that can handle all the functionallity, however when it is activated nothing shows, because I must initiate parts of it somewhere. Now the question I want to know if this is allowed, to init these parts inside my theme or I must create another plugin for this(let’s say “Theme Functions”).

Example:
Plugin Core: contains multiple PHP classes.
class My_Metabox {...}
class My_theme_Options{...}
class My_CPT{...}

Theme: Init these classes inside my theme so when the user activate my theme and if the plugin(Plugin Core) is activated it will show the options required for this particular theme:

if(class_exists('My_Metabox ') ) {
    $meta_options = array(
        //all options for my metaboxes
    )
    new My_Metabox($meta_options);
}
//A similar call for other classes: My_theme_Options, My_CPT, etc.

So, is allowed to do such calls from theme?

33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
JonnyShogun says

When i say deactivate the plugin im talking about having 2 plugins.. one with functionality specific to the theme that does NOT affect content globally, even if the theme is switched out. And a second plugin having all shortcodes, custom post types and widgets remaining ACTIVE so when the theme is switched out it doesn’t break the content.

The point of the plugin is not to use it in other themes, its so when the user wants to switch themes they don’t have their content and data affected. Im talking about another plugin that has my admin options and slider options in a plugin, that wont affect content since the slider options and theme options are specific to my theme. And are only put in a plugin to separate my custom code in the theme per Enavatos new guidelines for Phase 2 in November.

Because i asked Enavto Support and they said that porting to plugin was to separate WordPress functionality from my custom functionality, so its separate. Which is part of Phase 2 in November. The point of the porting functionality to a plugin, is not to make so it can be used on other themes, but to keep the content from breaking when users switch themes.

I don’t think I understand your theme idea. Why if your “plugins” rely on options panel do you need them to be in a plugin? It seems they only work at all if your theme option panel is active, which means it is only theme specific, right? Therefore, I don’t see why you need them as plugins.

Maybe:

1. Envato simply didn’t understand your set up and gave you wrong answer, or

2. Maybe your set up is complex and not best for end user and you should think of simplify it. Why do you need such information in option panel when it can be in one place in plugin? I think this is the general idea Japh was conveying to you in earlier post. Why make user go to two places to perform one functionality? What does it serve to have such information in option panel instead of all in simple plugin?

3. I don’t know about your slider. I think Staff said in earlier post they need to review ideas about slider and whether they need to be plugin or can remain in theme. I think there are issues regarding licensing if you buy slider from CC that go against new requirements Envato set. I think you have to want for concrete answer from Envato about slider.

Im not just randomly saying this. The reason i said that my slider options and theme options need to go in a plugin, in Phase 2 starting in November, is because that’s the answer Enavto Support gave me TODAY when i emailed them about it. They said they will be requiring all functionality, even theme and slider options and pages ported to a plugin. Thats what they told me. So thats what im going by!

20 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
teamCrisis says

Im not just randomly saying this. The reason i said that my slider options and theme options need to go in a plugin, in Phase 2 starting in November, is because that’s the answer Enavto Support gave me TODAY when i emailed them about it. They said they will be requiring all functionality, even theme and slider options and pages ported to a plugin. Thats what they told me. So thats what im going by!

Why in earlier post today you say:

There has been no clarification from STAFF or JAPH regarding other functionality in plugin that have to work 100% on another themes frontend. They have only specified custom post types, shortcodes, and widgets.
and then you say:
because that’s the answer Enavto Support gave me TODAY when i emailed them about it. They said they will be requiring all functionality, even theme and slider options and pages ported to a plugin. Thats what they told me. So thats what im going by!

Maybe I’m confused or maybe you confusing others, but it seems Envato gave you concrete answer about it, right? So I don’t understand what issue you have. It seems Evanto want all functionality, including sliders to be plugin.

That said, I don’t know how Envato will handle licensing issues with plugins such as Layer Slider who state you cannot distribute their wp plugins in your theme as a plugin. It must be in theme itself.

Envato staff, can you please make public comment on this slider discrepancy?

33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in United States
JonnyShogun says

Why in earlier post today you say:

There has been no clarification from STAFF or JAPH regarding other functionality in plugin that have to work 100% on another themes frontend. They have only specified custom post types, shortcodes, and widgets.
and then you say:
because that’s the answer Enavto Support gave me TODAY when i emailed them about it. They said they will be requiring all functionality, even theme and slider options and pages ported to a plugin. Thats what they told me. So thats what im going by!

Maybe I’m confused or maybe you confusing others, but it seems Envato gave you concrete answer about it, right? So I don’t understand what issue you have. It seems Evanto want all functionality, including sliders to be plugin.

That said, I don’t know how Envato will handle licensing issues with plugins such as Layer Slider who state you cannot distribute their wp plugins in your theme as a plugin. It must be in theme itself.

Envato staff, can you please make public comment on this slider discrepancy?

Because that was BEFORE i got the email today from ENVATO Support, in response to my question regarding this. So i commented here once i received that response from ENVATO Support, so others would know what they said to me. I even asked them to clarify more, and I will be posting their reply here again, when they clarify further regarding this. So please read my comment fully before saying i said this and that.

4 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
RainbowThemes says

1. I like the idea of code standardization but well that’s not the biggest ThemeForest issue. The most annoying thing is that when you create your theme you don’t relly know what kind of the the design you should create. If a reviewer decided that the style/quality of the theme is not good enought you just recieve a standard note (“[THEME NAME] isn’t ready for ThemeForest and cannot be resubmitted as it did not meet our minimum requirements for quality and/or marketplace policies. “) without any comment. So you don’t even know what you’ve done wrong. Then you go to “Knowledgebase” which is absolutely useless and try to read something about design requirments. The only advice is “go and check other themes”. That’s why there is a lot of themes with Revolution slider and parallel backgrounds. People just copy ideas, one from another, just to skip the approval process. Will you ever create any design requirments?

2. What will happen with all old themes? A lot of people use them and. I don’t want to create an update which brakes backwards compatibility.

3. Why do you accept page builders but not shortcode managers? Have you tried to create a website using page builder? After changing the theme your contents disappear and you have to do the whole work again. I suggest to move the page builders to the plugins too. It would be more fair for people who just started creating themes and have no page builder yet.

Warm Regards,

Mike

138 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+2 more
M-Theme says

We are all know that not all one’s theme widgets and shortcodes are the same, maybe some one need to have a special UI with different HTML, PHP, CSS class and id name.

But now the custom widgets and shortcodes should be in the plugin, how can I do it above?

If I add the folder named: widgets, shortcodes in theme to place the special widgets or shortcodes, When the plugin has actived, the special widgets or shortcodes will work.

Just like the woocommerce plugin does, let us to put the “woocommerce” folder in the theme to save the custom templates.

Does it allow?

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
chadhenry says

@ Japh,

Can you please clarify an issue we are having regarding a support email reply we have received regarding these new requirements? The actual back-and-forth conversation is too long to post here but here is a snippet

Envato support stated the following:

First up, please know that the move to plugins is only applicable for phase 2, which will begin by November earliest. Secondly, we’re saying that any functional additions to a theme need to be refactored as plugins instead of being directly integrated to a theme’s core.

The confusion is as follows:

1. Your support is using vague terms such as “any functional additions to a theme need to be refactored as plugins”

2. Your support staff specifically stated yesterday to us via email, that options panels will need to be plugins as well.

From what I have seen in your updated requirements page, your support staff is wrong in what they are telling us via email. Can you please confirm and or clarify these issues?

1. Can you please re-state that theme option panels do not need to be plugins – per your updated requirements page?

2. Can you please inform support staff to stop using vague phrases such as ” any functional additions to a theme need to be refactored as plugins” and start being more specific. I believe this would greatly reduce the confusion here on the forums as well as confusion via email.

3. Can you please confirm that support staff are indeed up-to-date with the latest requirements listed here: http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/472

If, indeed, items such as theme option panels need to be plugins, can you please update the requirements page immediately, because the information we are getting from support does not reflect what is on the requirements page.

8 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
hugw says

I totally agree with the new guidelines. But, i am a little bit concerned about user experience. Imagine this scenario:

Common user, that does not know nothing about what is meta boxes, custom post type, shortcodes, widgets. One day this user buy a theme A, after the installation, he is asked to install a bunch of plugins too, then he do.

Plugins:

- A MetaBoxes - A Custom Post Type - A ShortCodes - A Widgets

Then, he change his mind and buy another theme, B. Oh, and he is asked to install another bunch of plugins too.

- B Widgets - B ShortCodes - B Misc.

I can keep this forever, but lets say, he stops on the fourth theme. And suddenly he realize that his admin has 3 “Portfolios” menu itens, 2 “Sliders” menus and worst, when he try to add a new Post, he discovers a lot of custom fields that he does not know how to get rid off.

In the end, there will be maybe 20-30 plugins installed, and probably with common names like “Nice ShortCodes” or “Awsome ShortCodes”. How the “noob” user, will know how to deal with that information?

368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
QBKL says

In the end, there will be maybe 20-30 plugins installed, and probably with common names like “Nice ShortCodes” or “Awsome ShortCodes”. How the “noob” user, will know how to deal with that information?

He won’t have to deal with it if authors will be kind enough to use modular framework functionality and keep stuff in one or two plugins instead of overtaking the dashboard. Common sense assumption.

1483 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

Suppose that I have one plugin that can handle all the functionallity, however when it is activated nothing shows, because I must initiate parts of it somewhere. Now the question I want to know if this is allowed, to init these parts inside my theme or I must create another plugin for this(let’s say “Theme Functions”).
Example:
Plugin Core: contains multiple PHP classes.
class My_Metabox {...}
class My_theme_Options{...}
class My_CPT{...}

Theme: Init these classes inside my theme so when the user activate my theme and if the plugin(Plugin Core) is activated it will show the options required for this particular theme:

if(class_exists('My_Metabox ') ) {
    $meta_options = array(
        //all options for my metaboxes
    )
    new My_Metabox($meta_options);
}
//A similar call for other classes: My_theme_Options, My_CPT, etc.

So, is allowed to do such calls from theme?
It should be, that’s how I’m doing it too.
by
by
by
by
by
by