20 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
teamCrisis says

I am still waiting on a definitive answer from JAPH and ENVATO SUPPORT, since when i emailed support about option panels, they told me: that ALL functionality that is NOT core, must be ported to a plugin for the Phase 2 starting in November. JAPH asked for my Support Ticket ID so he can investigate this. So i am still waiting on clarification from JAPH and ENVATO SUPPORT STAFF on the confusion since we are being told different things on the forum and through Envato support tickets. Hopefully we get an answer soon. :)

Yes, theme option is core part of theme, so it is ok. That why Japh has said in many post over past week that option panel need not be in plugin. Also, you see on requirements page it says option panels are allowed in theme.

I think maybe you confuse what “core” means. Envato says theme options are core feature of theme because it can’t be used anywhere else and is typically only used for aesthetic theme changes. No reason to have these options a plugin and available to other themes.

33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
JonnyShogun says

I am still waiting on a definitive answer from JAPH and ENVATO SUPPORT, since when i emailed support about option panels, they told me: that ALL functionality that is NOT core, must be ported to a plugin for the Phase 2 starting in November. JAPH asked for my Support Ticket ID so he can investigate this. So i am still waiting on clarification from JAPH and ENVATO SUPPORT STAFF on the confusion since we are being told different things on the forum and through Envato support tickets. Hopefully we get an answer soon. :)

Yes, theme option is core part of theme, so it is ok. That why Japh has said in many post over past week that option panel need not be in plugin. Also, you see on requirements page it says option panels are allowed in theme.

I think maybe you confuse what “core” means. Envato says theme options are core feature of theme because it can’t be used anywhere else and is typically only used for aesthetic theme changes. No reason to have these options a plugin and available to other themes.

@themeCrisis Please read my full comment before saying i don’t know what core is. I don’t think you are reading my comments before saying i said something. I don’t want theme options or slider options in a plugin since it is specific to the theme and doesn’t affect data or content. I am not saying it has to be in a plugin, that’s what was told to me by Envato support team in a support ticket, through several emails back and forth.

JAPH asked for my Ticket ID so he could investigate what the review team and envato support team had said in my support ticket. I asked JAPH to clarify since the revised guidelines, phase 2 guidelines, envato support, and the forum staff are showing different things.

Lets not make assumptions and wait until we get clarification regarding this. :)

20 posts
teamCrisis says

@themeCrisis Please read my full comment before saying i don’t know what core is. I don’t think you are reading my comments before saying i said something. I don’t want theme options or slider options in a plugin since it is specific to the theme and doesn’t affect data or content. I am not saying it has to be in a plugin, that’s what was told to me by Envato support team in a support ticket, through several emails back and forth.

JAPH asked for my Ticket ID so he could investigate what the review team and envato support team had said in the my support ticket. I asked JAPH to clarify since the revised guidelines, phase 2 guidelines, envato support, and the forum staff are saying different things.

Lets not make assumptions and wait until we get clarification regarding this. :)

I make no assumptions as you say. I simply read requirement page that every one else read too. I also read Japh replies on this thread and old thread saying theme options ok. I think maybe you do something special with your theme option that make it not ok and must be plugin. I think maybe your situation different from rest of us.

Also, what do you mean by slider option? Do you mean you have type of option panel for slider? If yes, maybe support mean that option panel must be in plugin and not theme option panel.

I simply read Japh, requirement page and replies from other people. We all seem to be in agreement that option panel ok in theme until you post that support said in email that it is not ok. That make me think you do something special with your panel that most authors don’t and therefore you must make your panel plugin. I don’t think that apply to rest of us since Japh or other staff or require page say anything about that. They say exact opposite to us here.

I think your situation different or you simply confused by meaning of core. I don’t know, but hopefully Japh and support can help you figure out your situation. It seems confusing to me too.

33 posts
JonnyShogun says

I think your situation different or you simply confused by meaning of core. I don’t know, but hopefully Japh and support can help you figure out your situation. It seems confusing to me too.

My situation isn’t different, when i contacted ENVATO support, i asked specific questions about option panels (wp administration panels). And after back and forth through support ticket emails… they said that:

That the move to a plugin is only applicable for Phase 2, starting in November. And ANY ADDITIONS to a theme need to be refactored as plugins instead of being directly integrated to a themes core. ..

So it will not just be me and my situation. Thats what ENAVTO SUPPORT said, your interpretation of what they said, doesnt matter. That is why it is is best to wait for clarification from JAPH while he looks up my Ticket ID. Since the guidelines and forum, are different from what Enavato Support is saying..

Im waiting, until we get clarification on the confusion of whats being said. :)

20 posts
teamCrisis says

My situation isn’t different, when i contacted ENVATO support, i asked specific questions about option panels (wp administration panels). And after back and forth through support ticket emails… they said that:

That the move to a plugin is only applicable for Phase 2, starting in November. And ANY ADDITIONS to a theme need to be refactored as plugins instead of being directly integrated to a themes core. ..

So it will not just be me and my situation. Thats what ENAVTO SUPPORT said, your interpretation of what they said, doesnt matter. That is why it is is best to wait for clarification from JAPH while he looks up my Ticket ID. Since the guidelines and forum, are different from what Enavato Support is saying..

Im waiting, until we get clarification on the confusion of whats being said. :)

It seems we got to bottom of issue then. You confuse meaning of “theme core” and “any additions to theme”.

Evanto say many times that most functionality within reason must be plugin and aesthetics need not be plugin as stated in requirement page. Theme options panels are core to a theme and are generally used for aesthetic changes. This why Japh and require page specifically state option panel need not be in plugin.

I think maybe since you have “slider option” too, that Envato say you need to make this option panel a plugin. I don’t think slider can be part of “theme core” and therefore Envato state to you you need make this plugin.

I don’t think Envato come to definite conclusion yet about how slider should be handled – in theme or plugin because of licensing issues in some cases (I could be wrong).

I think many of us would assume that your theme option panel is ok in theme. This I assume you have a standard option panel that most themes have. I question whether “slider option” in your theme is ok in theme or plugin. But these two panels I think are different. I think there is no question your theme option panel is ok since there is many direct answers to such a question asked by several other people over past week.

Again, I think you either have something special with your theme or you simply confuse wording from support. Theme option panel are not “additions” to theme. They are core to theme. This is important difference and I think this is where you miss understand issue.

I think it’s nonsense that Envato would say many times in requirements page and in forums that theme options are ok in theme, but then tell only you something else unless it was special to you only – which means you are doing something most other authors are not with their option panel.

Wait for support, but I don’t think anyone else needs to worry about this. I think this is simply a special circumstance or possibly a simple misunderstanding by you or support.

33 posts
JonnyShogun says

Wait for support, but I don’t think anyone else needs to worry about this. I think this is simply a special circumstance or possibly a simple misunderstanding by you or support.

@teamCrisis All your doing is stating what you think, and not reading or understanding my comments. Like i said its nothing special to me. You don’t know what was fully said in my several emails with Enavato support. That’s why I’m waiting on JAPH to clarify, and don’t need you to tell me what you THINK they meant. That’s why if you read past comments, JAPH said he would clarify with ENVATO support. So its not a big deal since it has to do with Phase 2 in November :)

20 posts
teamCrisis says

@teamCrisis All your doing is stating what you think, and not reading or understanding my comments. Like i said its nothing special to me. You don’t know what was fully said in my several emails with Enavato support. That’s why I’m waiting on JAPH to clarify, and don’t need you to tell me what you THINK they meant. That’s why if you read past comments, JAPH said he would clarify with ENVATO support. So its not a big deal since it has to do with Phase 2 in November :)

I base what I “think” as you say, on facts provided directly by Japh himself and requirement page. I don’t make assumption or personal opinion. I base my reply to you on facts as they are currently written by Envato staff.

Since you say you have long conversation with support. Please create new thread and post entire conversation about this matter so we can all see. You supply no direct quote from Envato. You simply supply your interpretation of Envato email and I think that is the problem.

There is no reason why Envato would tell us that option panel ok in theme, but then secretly in email only to you, say the truth is it has to be plugin. There is only 3 possible reason why you might think this and why there is confusion:

1. Envato misunderstand you and gave you wrong answer, or

2. You complete misunderstand Envato reply to you, or

3. You have something special about your option panel that only apply to you and why only you need to make it plugin, not rest of us.

Japh state to another person today that requirement page is up to date. Why then does require page state option panel not need to be in plugin? As I said before, I think there is some misunderstanding between you and support. I see no evidence anywhere over the past week that would contradict requirement page as it’s currently written.

I think you should stop interpreting what Envato email support say, and instead post exact words in another thread so we can make determination for ourselves. Otherwise, this issue is solely your own and not an issue the rest of us need to worry about.

33 posts
JonnyShogun says

I think you should stop interpreting what Envato email support say, and instead post exact words in another thread so we can make determination for ourselves. Otherwise, this issue is solely your own and not an issue the rest of us need to worry about.

You are wrong.. Like i said im waiting for JAPH to reply with clarification :)

1600 posts Chris Robinson
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

You are wrong.. Like i said im waiting for JAPH to reply with clarification :)

Think you might need to read them again, directly from the guidelines page:

Functionality not related to the customisation of visual aspects of a theme must be added via plugins as much as possible. For example:

Allowed in theme:

• Theme options frameworks
  • Page builders
    Must be in plugin:
  • Custom Post Types
  • Shortcodes

Option panels can be included directly into the theme and don’t need to be in a plugin.

20 posts
teamCrisis says

@contempoinc yes, thank you for posting that. I should have done that myself to validate my point. I don’t understand why @theme-desert would think this is not correct. Seems clear to me and you as well.

@theme-desert say “support told me” but he offers no such actual quote from Envato. I think he simply misunderstand support. Hopefully, support can help him understand because it seems like a waste of time to help him here.

by
by
by
by
by
by