120 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Cubell says

I have just read the new list of requirements. But you missed out a couple of commonly-used features from your allowed/disallowed plugins list. What will happen to custom meta boxes and sliders?

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

I have just read the new list of requirements. But you missed out a couple of commonly-used features from your allowed/disallowed plugins list. What will happen to custom meta boxes and sliders?

Unless there’s a good reason not to, they will need to be implemented via plugins. There was some interesting discussion on how to do this in the previous thread (non-specific link, sorry, not sure where in there…).

22 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Europe
ThemesIndep says

Hi Japh, adding ACF as a plugin? If buyer switch to another theme, ACF won’t work anyway. All calls to ACF fields will remane in a previous theme. Also, when ACF is being included in the theme it being used as a Lite Mode, which is defined in functions.php. What to do about that?
While I understand that if the theme is specifically referring to ACF field names, they won’t show in another theme, the data will still be available in the back end for the user.

That is correct, but not everyone is a developer. They would not know what to do with this data. Most of our buyers have nothing to do with web or theme development. What about the ACF Lite Mode? It defines in functions.php, all fields are being pulled from exported PHP file and if they switch themes, they will get nothing but an empty ACF UI. Please, let it be included in the theme just like an Options Framework or a Page Builder.

396 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
Jaynesh says

Hi Japh, adding ACF as a plugin? If buyer switch to another theme, ACF won’t work anyway. All calls to ACF fields will remane in a previous theme. Also, when ACF is being included in the theme it being used as a Lite Mode, which is defined in functions.php. What to do about that?
While I understand that if the theme is specifically referring to ACF field names, they won’t show in another theme, the data will still be available in the back end for the user.
That is correct, but not everyone is a developer. They would not know what to do with this data. Most of our buyers have nothing to do with web or theme development. What about the ACF Lite Mode? It defines in functions.php, all fields are being pulled from exported PHP file and if they switch themes, they will get nothing but an empty ACF UI. Please, let it be included in the theme just like an Options Framework or a Page Builder.

I agree. I’m also using ACF as my Options framework. So this plugin should be classed as an Options Framework.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

I agree. I’m also using ACF as my Options framework. So this plugin should be classed as an Options Framework.

Thanks for the clarification. We’ll take this into consideration for the Phase 2 requirements.

248 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
meks says

Hello,

If we get it right, custom post types will need to be switched into a plugins?

Why is that? You are trying to say that we need to create separate plugin for every specific custom post type?

Let me explain. We think that it may be bad user experience if user always have all our custom post types in every theme. For example, we would like to offer only portfolio custom post type in some theme, and in some theme we would like to have only testimonials.

The other problem is: What if we want to use different portfolio custom post type for different themes? Let’s say, one portfolio custom post type will have 5 specific fields (metaboxes), and for some other theme, we would like to show only 3 of them? What should we do in that case, creating another specific plugin anytime?

We don’t want to make “all in one” plugins if we only use some features in specific themes. That will confuse the users.

Cheers

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

If we get it right, custom post types will need to be switched into a plugins?

For Phase 2, that is the current plan, yes.

Why is that? You are trying to say that we need to create separate plugin for every specific custom post type?

Not at all. Take a real estate theme as an example. You may have custom post types for properties and agents, with custom taxonomies for property types. This could all go into a single real estate plugin that you use for all your real estate themes.

Let me explain. We think that it may be bad user experience if user always have all our custom post types in every theme. For example, we would like to offer only portfolio custom post type in some theme, and in some theme we would like to have only testimonials.

The other problem is: What if we want to use different portfolio custom post type for different themes? Let’s say, one portfolio custom post type will have 5 specific fields (metaboxes), and for some other theme, we would like to show only 3 of them? What should we do in that case, creating another specific plugin anytime?

We don’t want to make “all in one” plugins if we only use some features in specific themes. That will confuse the users.

It would be quite possible for you to create an “all in one” plugin, and simply have the theme switch on / off various options, similar to the add_theme_support() function in WordPress itself.

579 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

I’ve discussed my ass off in the previous thread about these new requirements :)

But i just wanted to say thanks for the update and the new requirements are very clear to me!

Thank you!

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

I’ve discussed my ass off in the previous thread about these new requirements :)

But i just wanted to say thanks for the update and the new requirements are very clear to me!

Thank you!

I’m so happy to hear that! Thanks so much for your feedback :)

1635 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Forum Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+6 more
SamBerson says

Thanks for the update, and for making it even clearer as to what we have to do :)

by
by
by
by
by
by