626 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

@UBL , supporting WPML is not required..

I know this, but Envato are pushing this.

They setup webinars which I watched.

They have created notes about how themes sell 5 times better with the compatibility.

They have even included it within the Compatible field on the WordPress upload form.

Yes, that’s true. I’ve seen the messages.

But you can make your plugins support WPML as well. So if you put the WPML support for your plugin holded functions also inside the plugin there won’t be any problem i guess..

632 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
UBLThemes says

But you can make your plugins support WPML as well.

So if you put the WPML support for your plugin holded functions also inside the plugin there won’t be any problem i guess..

Yes I know this, but you cant make your theme WPML compliant the way this is.

Because if you have the wpml-config.xml file within the themes, it needs the custom fields, taxonomies, custom fields which are help within the plugins.

If you have the wpml-config.xml file within the plugins, you will get errors within the theme until the theme plugins are installed, but Envato say that the theme should work at basic level with no plugins installed.

At least that is the impression I have been given reading these threads.

626 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

But you can make your plugins support WPML as well.

So if you put the WPML support for your plugin holded functions also inside the plugin there won’t be any problem i guess..

Yes I know this, but you cant make your theme WPML compliant the way this is.

Because if you have the wpml-config.xml file within the themes, it needs the custom fields, taxonomies, custom fields which are help within the plugins.

If you have the wpml-config.xml file within the plugins, you will get errors within the theme until the theme plugins are installed, but Envato say that the theme should work at basic level with no plugins installed.

At least that is the impression I have been given reading these threads.

You can make your plugins support WPML regardless what theme it is used in. You just need to make sure the plugin itself is also providing the front-end output, buy supplying templates, using filters or shortcodes.

Then to make the plugin less visual appealing in different themes you could place only the plugin styling inside the theme css.

No errors like this – only thing is the plugin is a little more portable like this, so it depends on what you want.

Anyway, the errors you mention could be prevented.

78 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+2 more
adiacone says

Wow, you guys clearly have way too much free time! ;)

3559 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
KrownThemes says

You’ve stopped them! :D

Hey Japh, i just had an idea: Some of us offer unlimited sidebars in the theme options. That’s a simple array where users add their own sidebars so they can be able to add them in whatever page. By thinking at portability, this would now go inside a plugin right? Because otherwise the users will be left without their sidebars on theme switch and only with a big list of inactive widgets. But how would this work with the next theme which might have it’s own way of creating custom sidebars?

60 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
DavidGuns says

@RubenBristian

interesting for phase 2 :D

108 posts
+4 more
designedbydash says

You’ve stopped them! :D

Hey Japh, i just had an idea: Some of us offer unlimited sidebars in the theme options. That’s a simple array where users add their own sidebars so they can be able to add them in whatever page. By thinking at portability, this would now go inside a plugin right? Because otherwise the users will be left without their sidebars on theme switch and only with a big list of inactive widgets. But how would this work with the next theme which might have it’s own way of creating custom sidebars?

I’d say sidebars should go in the theme, at least that’s where I’d like to put them. When they switch themes it’s highly unlikely they’ll use the same sidebar names so the widgets wouldn’t ever appear.

145 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
Cubell says

@Ruben:

1) do things like registering custom sidebars and adding image sizes (custom thumbnails) need to be moved to a plugin as well?
No, these belong in a theme.

This makes sense, as when sidebars are deleted/removed because of new theme, the widgets that were in that sidebar move to the “inactive widgets” so the user can easily drag them to their new sidebar and be as it was.

3559 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
KrownThemes says

@Cubell .. thanks! I haven’t looked if this was already answered .. 30 pages :)

815 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says

What about following case:

I have a page template in a theme that displays, for example, price tables. User have a choice to select how many tables he wants and he enters data (name, price, etc.) for each plan in page metaboxes. All is saved as meta data of the page. When user switches themes, all meta is preserved, metaboxes gone and page template gone.

Is this ok approach or we should do acrobatics with plugins,etc.?

by
by
by
by
by
by