• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

@Ruben:

1) do things like registering custom sidebars and adding image sizes (custom thumbnails) need to be moved to a plugin as well?
No, these belong in a theme.
This makes sense, as when sidebars are deleted/removed because of new theme, the widgets that were in that sidebar move to the “inactive widgets” so the user can easily drag them to their new sidebar and be as it was.

Which makes me think it’s really a failure of WP that the same behavior doesn’t exist for custom meta fields and post types. If it were these would also be allowed, right?

Shouldn’t WP make database content accessible for removed custom post types and meta fields as part of it’s default functionality? I can’t think of a single good reason for not doing this. What’s the story WP? Let’s make this happen and we can get back to building good themes again.

900 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

Shouldn’t WP make database content accessible for removed custom post types and meta fields as part of it’s default functionality? I can’t think of a single good reason for not doing this. What’s the story WP? Let’s make this happen and we can get back to building good themes again.

That’s never gonna happen. Imagine you’ve changed 10 themes. Even if we put the wordpress paradigm of functionality/presentation away scalability is still far more important for a CMS.

13 posts
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
studioself says

These days every time I work with a different WP theme from TF. I almost feel like I am re-learning how to use WP and whenever I change a theme I pretty much have to redesign the entire website from scratch – Not terribly bad for static pages – but a nightmare scenario when it comes to blog entities do to the shear number of them. Talk about feeling stuck with an old theme.

MultiSite: I run a Multi-site that functions much like wordpress.com. I offer some themes to my end-users as “premium” themes. Absolutely none of those themes are from ThemeForst. I simply can’t offer them because these days all of the themes function so vastly differently than all of the other themes. My average users: those who want to build their own website fairly quickly and easily – those that WP was made for – would be totally lost if they were to try to work with many TF themes and even more lost if they were to ever wanted to switch themes – because they would have to re-learn the interface.

396 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
Jaynesh says

I have another quick question.

I understand that page builders are in the exemption list and are allowed to be preinstalled with the theme but what about the page builders that use shortcode functionality. e.g Visual Composer.

Visual Composer uses shortcodes to build the pages so does this mean Visual Composer isn’t an exception? Visual Composer can also be extended by using custom shortcodes. What happens here?

382 posts Keep Walking
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
UXbarn says

@Jaynesh – I think using any shortcodes from Visual Composer should be fine because it is a plugin.

For the latter point, I used to ask Japh previously about extending some code from the plugin and he said the extension or overriding stuff should be in the theme.

Note that the discussion is on page 15. :)

Edited: Hmm. Perhaps I misunderstood your latter point. If what you mean is about where should any “new” custom shortcodes reside (not just the overriding code for existing ones), I’m not sure about it either. Maybe in our own plugin I guess. :/

1989 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

@Japh

as mentioned in the other thread, plugin dependancies/install could be handled by hooking into WP plugin install/update system using a very small amount of custom code.

I spent a couple of hours today creating a proof of concept class that can install plugins from a folder inside theme (or from external server). Code is still incomplete but it works flawlessy.

However, before developing the thing any further, i’d like to know if it will be allowed in phase 2 (instead of TGM activation class). If so (which i stronlgy hope) we’ll complete the class and release under GPL license so anybody could use it.

https://gist.github.com/bitfade/2226770adb5a44bee27d
600 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
UBLThemes says

@Japh

as mentioned in the other thread, plugin dependancies/install could be handled by hooking into WP plugin install/update system using a very small amount of custom code.

I spent a couple of hours today creating a proof of concept class that can install plugins from a folder inside theme (or from external server). Code is still incomplete but it works flawlessy.

However, before developing the thing any further, i’d like to know if it will be allowed in phase 2 (instead of TGM activation class). If so (which i stronlgy hope) we’ll complete the class and release under GPL license so anybody could use it.

https://gist.github.com/bitfade/2226770adb5a44bee27d

Nice class.

I dont think the rules are there for plugins within your theme folder.

I think the plugins have to go within the wp_content/plugins folder

Maybe wrong though but thats my grasp on this.

488 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
pixelentity says

Only the zips are in theme folder so you can bundle them with your theme but, once installed, they would go in wp-content/plugins like any other plugin from wp.org.
600 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
UBLThemes says

Only the zips are in theme folder so you can bundle them with your theme but, once installed, they would go in wp-content/plugins like any other plugin from wp.org.

Edit

Just got what you mean :)

Sorry mis read

56 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sweden
Mladjo says
I started a topic but get no answers so I’m copy it here:
I’ve been away from envato in the past three years. Now I have made couple of items (wp themes) and I’m reading those new Theme Submission Requirements and I’m pleased about that. So while I’m moving cpt from themes to plugins I got problem with jQuery. For a projects/portfolio cpt I need isotope which does not work with default WP version of jQuery jQuery v1.10.2 and jQuery Migrate v1.2.1 What should I do I’m really stuck in this. Thanks for any help.
by
by
by
by
by
by