• Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
UBLThemes says

I have a suggestion.

So, according to new Submission Requirements, functionalities such as widgets, CPT, shortcodes etc. should come as seperate plugins. By doing this, users will be able to preserve their data after switching from one theme to another. However, since there are hundreds of different plugins for each functionality, most of the time user wont be able to just install their new theme and use old data right away.

So, here’s my suggestion. Envato (as an authoroty) posts a public list of most common or endorsed plugins and authors make their theme compatible with those plugins. That way, when user switches from one theme to another, he/she can not only keep their data, but they can start using it right away. And authors can focus on creating themes, instead of constantly reasearching the market to comply their themes for every slightly popular plugin out there.

And yeah, that way we can avoid authors who participate in “who can support more plugins” competition and therefore overblow their themes with templates and css code, as we all know, this is bound to happen.

Any decent plugin will have styling so this is a bad suggestion.

Plugins that are meant for specific themes should not work perfectly on other themes!

2177 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Won a Competition
+10 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

Does this also effect old themes?

401 posts Keep Walking
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
UXbarn says

Regarding this Q&A: https://gist.github.com/Japh/6016724 on Q10, they said there is no timeline for the existing themes for at least six months.

2177 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Won a Competition
+10 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

Regarding this Q&A: https://gist.github.com/Japh/6016724 on Q10, they said there is no timeline for the existing themes for at least six months.

What will happened after this 6 months?

78 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
adiacone says

Then please post your opinions with this account, not with a clone. It really doesn’t help us getting feedback from users that have no buyer badge yet complain most of the time(I’ve seen a few cases).

How is that relevant? As long as the feedback is provided in a civilized manner, who cares if the user bought any themes? He might be a potential buyer or maybe just someone who would like to share some of his experience working with commercial WordPress themes in general.

Oh… if he’s just posting for posting sake or not providing any useful information, that’s something else. But I didn’t sense that from Markic’s comment.

108 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
designedbydash says

I have a suggestion.

So, according to new Submission Requirements, functionalities such as widgets, CPT, shortcodes etc. should come as seperate plugins. By doing this, users will be able to preserve their data after switching from one theme to another. However, since there are hundreds of different plugins for each functionality, most of the time user wont be able to just install their new theme and use old data right away.

So, here’s my suggestion. Envato (as an authoroty) posts a public list of most common or endorsed plugins and authors make their theme compatible with those plugins. That way, when user switches from one theme to another, he/she can not only keep their data, but they can start using it right away. And authors can focus on creating themes, instead of constantly reasearching the market to comply their themes for every slightly popular plugin out there.

And yeah, that way we can avoid authors who participate in “who can support more plugins” competition and therefore overblow their themes with templates and css code, as we all know, this is bound to happen.

This is a horrendous idea. It would limit the creativity of the authors to the functionality in those plugins, thus making all themes (in terms of functionality) pretty identical.

176 posts The Joomla Guy
  • Won a Competition
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+4 more
hogash says

Hi guys,

First of all i want to say that i agree with these changes…. and i am Stefan from Hogash team ( the WP developer ).

I’m almost done with my new framework that should be 100% compliant with all these changes ( the ones that are available at the moment ). However , my idea was to use the plugin for all my future themes.

Maybe my logic isn’t that good at the moment and someone can point me in the right direction regarding this.

My current set-up is as follows :

1. CPT + Shortcodes + metaboxes + Pagebuilder ( The whole framework ) is in the plugin. 2. All Styling + Specific theme options ( configuration file ) are in the theme.

Now, in the theme/plugin i have checks to see if theme supports the features ( For example, i can disable the portfolio post type from the theme files if the theme doesn’t need such a feature ).

My problem ( It’s been 2 days with no solution :( ) is that i don’t know how can i use the same framework for 2 or more themes from me :

1. The client installs THEME A from me and also installs the plugin/framework. ( this theme has 3 shortcodes – for example ) 2. The client installs THEME B from me and keeps the plugin from THEME A. ( this theme has 5 shortcodes – for example )

Now, the problem/question is how can i keep the shortcodes ( for example ) from both themes …or should i only keep the shortcodes from the last theme activated ? As a side note, my framework is built using configuration files, so , the easy solution would be to simply move the configuration files from THEME B into the plugin folder once the THEME B is activated and the plugin to read both files… however, this won’t be a good solution as THEME A doesn’t have styles from THEME B’s shortcodes …. :stress:

The other simple solution would be to make a plugin for each theme ( but this is not what i am aiming for )

If someone has a solution for me i can pay in beer :D ( if you visit Romania ).

Best regards, Stefan

127 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Cubell says

Hi guys, First of all i want….

From my understanding on the subject, I believe that the purpose of these changes aren’t to make it so when a user change to a different theme (even another one of yours) to still keep everything looking/working as it was. As that would make zero sense and be completely impractical/impossible to do. The idea is that when they change themes, their website content doesn’t instantly look broken.

I.e User uses Theme A and in their posts inserts multiple Theme A shortcodes, when the user changes to Theme B, the posts with shortcodes would instantly have “[shortcode xxx]” code visitible and look broken, but now because they have a plugin that handles the shortcodes activated, the shortcode still gets executed and doesn’t look completely broken. It is then up the user to update the shortcodes to the shortcodes of their new theme.

14 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AngeloM says

I just uploaded a new theme already using all that new requirements… it works perfectly :D

14 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AngeloM says

I just uploaded a new theme already using all that new requirements… it works perfectly :D

correction: almost all :D

by
by
by
by
by
by