3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

No offense, but with these changes you will only make the customers here have a worse experience than before, because your standards are not clear and do not cover every aspect and every author will end up choosing their own way of doing stuff. This changes are just bad. The only one i have to say i agree with is the shortcode one. The other moves to plugins are just useless.

At the moment i have spend some time reading this whole thread and i am clear of one thing: you have no idea what you want us to do.

I think that you want to make the functionality part of the theme portable to other themes. Basically what woocommerce does. BUT what author wants to spend time on a plugin for lets say their slideshows, and than allow the buyer to take that plugin and use it unlimited times with other themes. What is that? You are confusing wp.org with premium themes.

202 posts The Joomla Guy
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
hogash says

Hy guys,

@Envato team : Instead of moving all functionality to a plugin, can’t we still keep the CPT ( for example ) in the theme and just add an extra plugin in the theme package that will contain just the functionality of the CPT ?

How i see the things :

1. The user installs the theme 2. The user can benefit from all the theme features ( portfolio, shortcodes , etc) 3. The user want to switch to a different theme and disables the first theme ( at this stage, he will lose all the theme features – CPT , shortcodes, etc ) 4. The user ( if he still want to use the first theme’s features ) installs the plugin provided in the theme package and he will get the CPT and shortcodes functionality

By doing this, the clients and developers are happy ( in my opinion :) )

my 2 cents :)

Best regards, Stefan

814 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says

What about dependencies between the theme and the plugin.
- If I have some functions that are used both in the cpts and regular posts, where should I put them?
 if (!class_exists('myclass')) require_once('myclass')

?

496 posts Dream big
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Has referred 50+ members
+4 more
pixel-industry says

How i see the things :

1. The user installs the theme 2. The user can benefit from all the theme features ( portfolio, shortcodes , etc) 3. The user want to switch to a different theme and disables the first theme ( at this stage, he will lose all the theme features – CPT , shortcodes, etc ) 4. The user ( if he still want to use the first theme’s features ) installs the plugin provided in the theme package and he will get the CPT and shortcodes functionality

Best regards, Stefan
This was my idea too. I am curious would this be allowed?
952 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

^ But why? Ok, for editing old themes it’s much easier, but if you’re making a new one I can’t see one reason to have code duplicated when the effect is same. Plus, who the hell would keep the files he downloaded 3-4 years ago (when he installed the theme). That item would probably be deleted and there would be a hurricane of “OMG WHERES THE ITEM I NEED THE PLUGIN”.

202 posts The Joomla Guy
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
hogash says

Hi guys,

What’s hapening here ?? Our theme Kallyas for wordpress that was released earlier this year was just soft disabled. The email we have received states that the theme is not compatible with the new requirements ??

We have also opened a ticket ( #WLT-286-98234 ) if someone can investigate and give us a proper reason for the disable.

Best regards, Stefan

16 posts
  • Located in Brazil
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
theux says

+1

wp.org != premium themes.

16 posts
  • Located in Brazil
theux says

Hy guys,

@Envato team : Instead of moving all functionality to a plugin, can’t we still keep the CPT ( for example ) in the theme and just add an extra plugin in the theme package that will contain just the functionality of the CPT ?

How i see the things :

Best regards, Stefan

That’s not simple. Plugins developed to a specific theme will carry the theme’s style. It will not be a plug and play thing for other themes. For example: future plugins from Kallyas will not be useful for people that have Avada theme. Completely different styles. In the end, Envato will ‘force’ the user to code and tweak plugins.

Like @duotive said, i think Envato is confusing wp.org with premium themes.

I quite agree with Submission Requirements Phase One, but phase two is blurry.

1341 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
fuelthemes says

Hy guys,

How i see the things :

Best regards, Stefan

That’s not simple. Plugins developed to a specific theme will carry the theme’s style. It will not be a plug and play thing for other themes. For example: future plugins from Kallyas will not be useful for people that have Avada theme. Completely different styles. In the end, Envato will ‘force’ the user to code and tweak plugins.

Like @duotive said, i think Envato is confusing wp.org with premium themes.

I quite agree with Submission Requirements Phase One, but phase two is blurry.

I totally agree, Phase 1 changes are great, but phase 2, not so much…

433 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+6 more
Jaynesh says

Hi guys,

What’s hapening here ?? Our theme Kallyas for wordpress that was released earlier this year was just soft disabled. The email we have received states that the theme is not compatible with the new requirements ??

We have also opened a ticket ( #WLT-286-98234 ) if someone can investigate and give us a proper reason for the disable.

Best regards, Stefan

That’s quite scary considering that these requirements haven’t gone into effect yet AND existing items were meant to have a longer grace period.

by
by
by
by
by
by