• Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+5 more
SamBerson says

Can’t believe people are still tripping over this…

+1

9 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Dominican Republic
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
oidoperfecto says
158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
greenshady says

ThemeForest Premium Themes != Wordpress.org Themes

Of course not. Most (not all) TF themes don’t come close to the code quality and proper use of WordPress standards that themes in the WordPress.org repo do.

Hence, the new submission requirements.

Edit: Just to add to the above, I want to say that this is not an insult. Some people will take it that way. I, for one, am happy to see the new requirements. I think it could result in a lot of good things for ThemeForest and will help push innovation once everyone gets over this initial shock.

1020 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
+5 more
Parallelus says

Of course not. Most (not all) TF themes don’t come close to the code quality and proper use of WordPress standards that themes in the WordPress.org repo do.

Edit: Just to add to the above, I want to say that this is not an insult. Some people will take it that way. I, for one, am happy to see the new requirements. I think it could result in a lot of good things for ThemeForest and will help push innovation once everyone gets over this initial shock.

Yeah, I find myself constantly looking to the wordpress.org themes directory as an example of theme innovation. It’s baffling that sites like this can break even let alone earn a profit when you have competition like that. :/

3426 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

Yeah, I find myself constantly looking to the wordpress.org themes directory as an example of theme innovation. It’s baffling that sites like this can break even let alone earn a profit when you have competition like that. :/

Code quality is one thing.. Innovation is another thing and cannot be seen anywhere in the wp repo, lol. Maybe themes from there have a really high code quality, but are almost useless for complex sites. If buyers would find innovation there they wouldn’t come here for themes :D

814 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
rvision_ says

LOL

158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
greenshady says

Code quality is one thing.. Innovation is another thing and cannot be seen anywhere in the wp repo, lol. Maybe themes from there have a really high code quality, but are almost useless for complex sites. If buyers would find innovation there they wouldn’t come here for themes :D

No one really wants to respond to the actual point and just say that themes here are more innovative (not something I’ve argued against at all)? That’s the rebuttal?

Let’s just forget code quality and standards as long as we’re innovating. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive, by the way.

3426 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

Let’s just forget code quality and standards as long as we’re innovating. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive, by the way.

Leaving alone code quality (which i’m all for) and talking strictly against standards, innovation was always killed by standards. You cannot really innovate and respect standards. These two terms contradict each other..

1020 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
+5 more
Parallelus says

Leaving alone code quality (which i’m all for) and talking strictly against standards, innovation was always killed by standards. You cannot really innovate and respect standards. These two terms contradict each other..

Let me tell you a little something about “standards” in case you’ve never heard this before. Just because something is decided to be a “standard” does not make it necessarily the right way or even better way of doing things. I understand the purpose of having standards and I also understand all the reasons you may at times get better results by not following them. Just because the wordpress.org people or even the Envato people have decided something is going to be a standard for their system/service/etc. does not automatically make it a rubber stamped best method, one and only way of doing things, most efficient or even “right” way of doing things.

158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
greenshady says

The larger WordPress theme community seems to disagree. ThemeForest isn’t the only place to see innovation. There are plenty of other theme sites outside of WordPress.org that are innovating while following WordPress standards. The argument that standards stifle innovation has already been beaten to death throughout the years in many fields.

I’m not saying we need to necessarily go the WordPress Theme Review route. I actually do believe their strict adherence to guidelines can actually hurt innovation at times. But, a good bit of common sense (e.g., is this something non-standard that is actually innovative and can’t be done in a better way?) goes a long way on the part of the reviewer.

We can always quabble over the minor things as far as standardization is concerned. But, the benefits of adhering to higher-level concepts like separating function from form should be fairly evident.

by
by
by
by
by
by