• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

Hey Japh.. where are those answers? It’s quite hard to read 45 pages to find an answer, don’t you think? Why don’t you create a FAQ with the answers that you and your team have for now?

Hi theux, see here: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/update-wordpress-theme-submission-requirements/103347?page=14#846001

87 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
AccuraThemes says

Some times for Vcard Section.. there is no need Post and post category for vcard … will this apply

WordPress Unit Test Posts display correctly, with no apparent visual problems or errors. Posts display in correct order. Page navigation displays and works correctly. The search results page displays properly, with search query results displayed. As “sticky posts” are a core feature, the theme should style and display them appropriately.” can any one can help

346 posts Gambit
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Philippines
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
bfintal says

Okay, so far I’m at page 15 in this thread, and I’ve also read Japh’s Q & A and I have some serious problems with this phase 2 thing.

Long story short:

I have spent a ton of time creating my own framework before all of this talk about new requirements ever took place. I have slowly integrated my own framework into some of my themes. I have also disabled some of my themes since they’re still pending integration with the framework and thereby holding off support for those. I also have one new theme currently soft rejected which also has my framework implemented. What I’m trying to say is that this was a huge transition for me and the framework is now where I want it to be.

Now what my framework do? I’ve split everything up into an MVC format, and split all files into two groups: theme-specific and framework-specific. Framework-specific files are the same as with all my themes. The theme-specific ones are unique with every theme. Aside from this, creating a single admin option, or meta option, etc is now easy and just one function call away.

What I’m trying to say is that I designed it in such a way that it’s easy for me to create the different elements of my theme (such as admin options, meta options, etc). So it’s almost like a theme now is just a bunch of options plus a bunch of view files. The bulk of the heavy work is handled by the framework. It also makes it easier for me to fix bugs and release updates across multiple themes.

Now it’s easy to create:

Some features and functionalities which are always present in my themes are now baked in the framework. Features like:

• page builder
  • portfolio post types
  • Twitter API
  • seo stuff
  • translation stuff
  • .mo & .po editors
  • lots of helper functions
  • etc

Does this mean that for phase 2, I’d have to remove parts of my framework (portfolio post types declaration and behavior, twitter api, etc), write more code to wrap them up in separate plugins or one large plugin that just comes bundled with my themes? It makes no sense since everything in the framework is well segregated, clean and easy:

Screenshot of framework folder structure:

@Japh and others, Please tell me this isn’t so. I hope I’m just misinformed and wrong about this.

150 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
easydevelopment says

Okay, so far I’m at page 15 in this thread, and I’ve also read Japh’s Q & A and I have some serious problems with this phase 2 thing.

Long story short:

I have spent a ton of time creating my own framework before all of this talk about new requirements ever took place. I have slowly integrated my own framework into some of my themes. I have also disabled some of my themes since they’re still pending integration with the framework and thereby holding off support for those. I also have one new theme currently soft rejected which also has my framework implemented. What I’m trying to say is that this was a huge transition for me and the framework is now where I want it to be.

Now what my framework do? I’ve split everything up into an MVC format, and split all files into two groups: theme-specific and framework-specific. Framework-specific files are the same as with all my themes. The theme-specific ones are unique with every theme. Aside from this, creating a single admin option, or meta option, etc is now easy and just one function call away.

What I’m trying to say is that I designed it in such a way that it’s easy for me to create the different elements of my theme (such as admin options, meta options, etc). So it’s almost like a theme now is just a bunch of options plus a bunch of view files. The bulk of the heavy work is handled by the framework. It also makes it easier for me to fix bugs and release updates across multiple themes.

Now it’s easy to create:

Some features and functionalities which are always present in my themes are now baked in the framework. Features like:

• page builder
  • portfolio post types
  • Twitter API
  • seo stuff
  • translation stuff
  • .mo & .po editors
  • lots of helper functions
  • etc

Does this mean that for phase 2, I’d have to remove parts of my framework (portfolio post types declaration and behavior, twitter api, etc), write more code to wrap them up in separate plugins or one large plugin that just comes bundled with my themes? It makes no sense since everything in the framework is well segregated, clean and easy:

Screenshot of framework folder structure:

@Japh and others, Please tell me this isn’t so. I hope I’m just misinformed and wrong about this.

I’ve say this from the start, that’s why I release some plugin on CC to provide a service that really enables this better, I hope it get’s approved and I’ll come back with the concept.

1579 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
contempoinc says

A little Q, so just to make sure if we have our own custom post type like portfolio, personnel … etc… Do we have to separate them as plugins?

Yup, that’s the best way to do it anyways.

346 posts Gambit
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Philippines
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
bfintal says

A little Q, so just to make sure if we have our own custom post type like portfolio, personnel … etc… Do we have to separate them as plugins?

My opinion is that it depends on the implementation and purpose. From my post above, I have the portfolio CPT embedded within the framework since all of the themes I made has portfolio CPTs. So for my purposes this is the best way since the core code of the portfolio is now streamlined across my other themes; then each theme would then just have different portfolio options and portfolio views. Same framework code in all the themes.. very easy to maintain, debug and update.

From my perspective and taking this framework I made into context, pulling stuff like that out and writing useless code just to make it into a separate plugin just complicates things and is a waste of valuable time.

If the purpose of putting theme elements into plugins is so that content along with some bare functionality are retained after the theme’s deactivation, then it should be allowed to have plugins that simply register the CPT and not the full functionality of the CPT. If that’s allowed at least the content will still be there

Phase 1 is cool and is very much logical. A lot of stuff to change and follow, but I’m okay with that. Phase 1 feels to be a step forward in increasing theme quality within the marketplace. Phase 2 feels like a step back, a huge hinderance. Sigh, just remove #1 of phase 2 already!

372 posts
  • Exclusive Author
WPWiseOwl says

I like how Envato is upping the ante here. The gauntlet has been thrown. That’s why I’ll be buying the themes that are up to the challenge and may begin ignoring the ones that don’t (regardless of an author’s sheer inability, laziness or personal philosophy on why not to cooperate, etc) because that kind of modularity is just that awesome to me. I’ll also be more inclined to want to reward the author with my purchase if this additional effort has been made. It may even separate certain elites from other elites. I personally can’t wait to see what comes of phase 2 in November.

1025 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
+5 more
Parallelus says

I like how Envato is upping the ante here. The gauntlet has been thrown. That’s why I’ll be buying the themes that are up to the challenge and may begin ignoring the ones that don’t (regardless of an author’s sheer inability, laziness or personal philosophy on why not to cooperate, etc) because that kind of modularity is just that awesome to me. I’ll also be more inclined to want to reward the author with my purchase if this additional effort has been made. It may even separate certain elites from other elites. I personally can’t wait to see what comes of phase 2 in November.

Please do post back and give your opinion of the differences. I have serious concerns over customers being frustrated by having to keep up with extra steps in the install, plugins to manage and other customer experience issues. Those are my major concerns with the phase 2 requirements and would be very interested in hearing from customer that are in favor of these changes and what they think after using themes that are implementing these modifications.

If my customers were the ones demanding these things I probably would have gone this direction ages ago. It just seems to me that my customers are asking for something else so I’ve been following their direction.

1579 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
contempoinc says

Please do post back and give your opinion of the differences. I have serious concerns over customers being frustrated by having to keep up with extra steps in the install, plugins to manage and other customer experience issues. Those are my major concerns with the phase 2 requirements and would be very interested in hearing from customer that are in favor of these changes and what they think after using themes that are implementing these modifications.

If my customers were the ones demanding these things I probably would have gone this direction ages ago. It just seems to me that my customers are asking for something else so I’ve been following their direction.

When using the TGM Plugin Activation its a piece of cake for buyers, they get a little notice on theme activation > click install > activate the plugins > and you’re done, takes 30 secs — 99.999% of my buyers don’t have any issues with the process. Pretty much all my themes are already phase II compliant its really not that big deal.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
Japh Staff says

I’m genuinely curious why you didn’t create your framework as a plugin to begin with. If it’s “well segregated”, does that mean you could wrap it up into a plugin?

Is there a reason you wouldn’t?

by
by
by
by
by
by