• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

I have created a plugin that authors are free to use alongside Theme-Check, called ThemeForest-Check. This plugin removes checks from Theme-Check that aren’t required in a ThemeForest context, including the errors that Theme-Check shows for the TGM Plugin Activation class, for add_menu_page, etc.

I’d welcome any feedback, and my goal is to try and make this a good indication of how your theme matches up to the current requirements.

It’s not a guarantee of approval, just as using Theme-Check isn’t, but hopefully it’ll just make the checks for Theme-Check more accurately reflect ThemeForest’s requirements where they differ from those of WordPress.org.

22 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
ThemesIndep says
Yep, I understand that. You’re using ACF in Lite Mode as a n options framework. My feeling is that this will be allowed, but I will be sure to discuss with the review team to confirm.

It would be really great if ACF will be allowed as part of the theme. Otherwise and unfortunately ACF will be useless and we will have to delete our theme from the library.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Japh Staff says

It would be really great if ACF will be allowed as part of the theme. Otherwise and unfortunately ACF will be useless and we will have to delete our theme from the library.

As I said in that quote, that makes sense to me, and we will likely allow it. I just need to confirm with the review team :)

108 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
designedbydash says

Regarding phase two, in theory we could comply with the rules by including just two plugins?

The way I was thinking about doing it was having a standard functions plugin that houses the “core” of our theme’s functionality (as an example, all of the Bootstrap element shortcodes which are the same on each theme).

And then a second one to include additional functionality specific to that theme (i.e. a portfolio custom post type and its associated shortcodes, plus any other specific post types).

Would that be acceptable?

32 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sweden
Deveraux says

I have created a plugin that authors are free to use alongside Theme-Check, called ThemeForest-Check. This plugin removes checks from Theme-Check that aren’t required in a ThemeForest context, including the errors that Theme-Check shows for the TGM Plugin Activation class, for add_menu_page, etc.

I’d welcome any feedback, and my goal is to try and make this a good indication of how your theme matches up to the current requirements.

It’s not a guarantee of approval, just as using Theme-Check isn’t, but hopefully it’ll just make the checks for Theme-Check more accurately reflect ThemeForest’s requirements where they differ from those of WordPress.org.

Your themecheck plugin doesn’t supress the usage of cURL. Is that intended?

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Japh Staff says

Your themecheck plugin doesn’t supress the usage of cURL. Is that intended?

Yes, that is intended. Instead of using cURL, you should use WordPress’ wp_remote_request() function.

32 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sweden
Deveraux says

Some questions about phase 2 and bespoke plugins:

• most authors already have built their own frameworks, by moving features into plugins duplicate code will most likely occur: it’s safe to assume that this won’t be an issue during item review ?

• Due the above (common code used by both plugin and theme), some updates may require buyers to update both at the same time. According to direct experience, some buyers will not (for instance they could update theme only) either by mistake or due to technical issues (as in, the plugin update server being down) so we must somehow prevent buyer website from breaking until they do it the proper way. A possible solution could be

1. to embed plugin code in the theme as well
    2. if plugin is not installed, none of the above code will be ever used
    3. if plugin is installed and version matches, plugin code is used
    4. if plugin is installed but not updated, embedded plugin code is used until the buyer updates (goto 2)

Would the above be acceptable under the new rules ?

This is a really good idea, allows things to be portable and still doesn’t break the theme if someone forgets to update.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Japh Staff says

Regarding phase two, in theory we could comply with the rules by including just two plugins?

The way I was thinking about doing it was having a standard functions plugin that houses the “core” of our theme’s functionality (as an example, all of the Bootstrap element shortcodes which are the same on each theme).

And then a second one to include additional functionality specific to that theme (i.e. a portfolio custom post type and its associated shortcodes, plus any other specific post types).

Would that be acceptable?

That sounds acceptable to me.

233 posts themesdepot.org
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
ThemesDepot says

Something that is not clear to me is : metaboxes must be in plugins?

22 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Europe
ThemesIndep says
As I said in that quote, that makes sense to me, and we will likely allow it. I just need to confirm with the review team :)

Thank you for your answer and your concern Japh.

by
by
by
by
by
by