• Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Smartik says

Hi, sorry Envato but we need some clarifications. November is just around the corner. The idea looks great on the paper but in a real world it doesn’t make sens.

I can understand putting shortcodes in separate plugin (which will cause in loading tones of extra useless JS and CSS) but custom post types? When a user switches a theme it will have completely different markup structure. Our plugin with users brand new theme will look like crap. So my question is what is the point? In this thread there are tones of reasonable examples from real world without answer… Please explain what should we do and whats the point. I am personally working on a new project and still do not know how it should be structured to get approved.

Should we put everything in one plugin just to avoid having it inside the theme to get approved?

P.S I have a challenge for fellow authors lets use Twenty-thirteen and bunch of plugins. Everything except blog must be outside the theme so it wont matter which theme we are using :)
The point of putting CPTs in plugins is quite simple: even if the new theme doesn’t know what to do with that custom post type (although your other themes may know ;) ) the user will still have access to the data of the old cpt from the backend and will be able to copy and paste it in the new theme’s data structure, if it chooses to. If not he will simply deactivate the plugin and all will be gone. It is as simple as this.

I make it even simple.
A. Make the CPT as plugin, include the necesary code in your template to work as it need when it is activated.
B. Point A + make shortcodes to display the items from portfolio and the single page. So the user when switch the theme will be able to use the shortcodes by creating a new page for each shortcode.

Also, doing only point B(only shortcodes) is also a good idea. I don’t know what buyers would prefer more?

216 posts WordPress Theme Devoloper
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
kayapati says

Can’t we create themes without CPT? We can manage Portfolio page using regular post, right? How it would be if we do like this?

http://blog.matthill.co/2013/custom-post-types-wordpress-themes-best-practice/

http://mikemcalister.com/custom-post-types-in-themes/

340 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Philippines
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
bfintal says

@Staff: Can’t we have an update on what or what not to do for Phase 2? Perhaps a more elaborate explanation / list of what to separate in the theme’s functionality. It’s almost November already. Currently, there has been a lot of unanswered questions and inquiries pertaining to that second phase, and we are just guessing on what to do. (I’m talking about elaborating on CPT and other functionalities aside from CPTs and shortcodes)

I for one am not yet implementing any changes for phase 2 since I might exaggerate what I should to separate into plugins.

23 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
Softwebmedia says

@Staff: Can’t we have an update on what or what not to do for Phase 2? Perhaps a more elaborate explanation / list of what to separate in the theme’s functionality. It’s almost November already. Currently, there has been a lot of unanswered questions and inquiries pertaining to that second phase, and we are just guessing on what to do. (I’m talking about elaborating on CPT and other functionalities aside from CPTs and shortcodes)

+1

403 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
RelStudios says

Can anybody tell me, should all CPT should resides into single plugin for we have to create each plugin file for each CPT ?

Thanks

340 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Philippines
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
bfintal says

Can anybody tell me, should all CPT should resides into single plugin for we have to create each plugin file for each CPT ? Thanks
From what I remember, @Japh previously replied that you can stick everything into a single plugin.

I hope the Envato staff clarify phase 2 soon.

403 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
RelStudios says

Just heard some thought about custom post type plugin from justintadlock and now it’s time to asked you guys :

Let’s say I create a directory theme and had a CPT plugin called Listings, it has a lot of custom meta field which I use for search, custom google map.

You are using my theme and want to move to another theme in the same niche. My Listings plugin still work fine but the data and layout output to the front-end look very mess.
If you deactivated my plugin and use new theme with new Listings CPT plugin provide by the new theme author, the CPT data still there but all of custom meta field is different.
Can you tell me how you deal in this case. Please help me out of this :)

Exactly ! Right now i am also thinking of same problem :) Can anyone give better solution for this ?

58 posts
  • Indonesia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
DavidGuns says

Still confusing with CPT.
Example (I use CPT by Devin Price):
when switch to other theme(another wp theme creator), data is still stored in database but how about display? is it good?

but it’s okay when switch to theme that I created. Newbie here, CMIIW

Pls answer, thanks

896 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Smartik says

when switch to other theme(another wp theme creator), data is still stored in database but how about display? is it good?

Pls answer, thanks

According to what already was said, you shouldn’t care about front-end display when the user change the theme, your plugin should work only on backend, so the user can adapt it on front-end if he need it or unistall if not.

58 posts
  • Indonesia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
DavidGuns says

Pls answer, thanks
According to what already was said, you shouldn’t care about front-end display when the user change the theme, your plugin should work only on backend, so the user can adapt it on front-end if he need it or unistall if not.

hi @Smartik, thank you for reply. I was wrong think about it, just ignore front end display and start create theme :D

by
by
by
by
by
by