350 posts Gambit
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
bfintal says

Aside from CPT and shortcodes, I would also like to know what else SHOULD be made into plugins. For example, in my themes, I have a MailChimp widget. Then in comment and contact forms I have reCaptcha integration. My themes also have their own translation and multilingual capabilities.

Should ALL of those functionalities be converted into plugins?

181 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
HellasDesign says

Because I am new to Wordpress… Do I have to create a plugin for the Post Formats (e.g. video, image, quote, status etc)? I am using a Framework for my new theme and I don’t know if I have to create a plugin for these Post Formats or not.

357 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
billyf says

Because I am new to Wordpress… Do I have to create a plugin for the Post Formats (e.g. video, image, quote, status etc)? I am using a Framework for my new theme and I don’t know if I have to create a plugin for these Post Formats or not. Thanks :)
Post formats are integral components of WordPress. You just need to enable them in your theme’s functions.php file : http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/add_theme_support
181 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+2 more
HellasDesign says

Post formats are integral components of WordPress. You just need to enable them in your theme’s functions.php file : http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/add_theme_support

Thank you very much billyf :)

56 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+1 more
ThemeManiac says

Hi all. Are there any new Requirements for WP theme main files structure? I want to upgrade the theme but I get the respond: Same issue, you have not included the main WP file. I uploaded Main files + separate WP theme. tnx br

56 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+1 more
ThemeManiac says

Forget it. It’s OK:)

350 posts Gambit
+4 more
bfintal says

@Envato Staff and co-authors.

I’m currently trying to separate stuff in my theme framework into plugins in order to conform to the phase 2 requirements. Since my next theme will clearly not make it in before November. I’m still pondering on what stuff SHOULD and SHOULD NOT be separated into plugins.

So far, my thoughts are that if the user switches to another theme, all their content should still be intact.. even though they won’t be styled at all.

Basically, everything that generates content will be moved to plugins (no styling included):
  • CPTs with their custom fields and templates
  • custom taxonomies
  • shortcodes
  • widgets
All else will remain in the theme:
  • captcha on forms
  • pagebuilder (although this should be transferrable to the normal editor)
  • tgm plugin activator
  • theme customizer
  • theme options
  • sidebar generator
  • everything else…

One thing that I’m not sure though. Since page custom fields generate content, then technically they should be moved into a plugin. But so far I’m leaning towards simply retaining those in the theme. What do you guys think?

@Envato staff, we really need specifics on this. We are currently in the dark

406 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in Nepal
+3 more
RelStudios says

@Envato Staff and co-authors.

I’m currently trying to separate stuff in my theme framework into plugins in order to conform to the phase 2 requirements. Since my next theme will clearly not make it in before November. I’m still pondering on what stuff SHOULD and SHOULD NOT be separated into plugins.

So far, my thoughts are that if the user switches to another theme, all their content should still be intact.. even though they won’t be styled at all.

Basically, everything that generates content will be moved to plugins (no styling included):
  • CPTs with their custom fields and templates
  • custom taxonomies
  • shortcodes
  • widgets
All else will remain in the theme:
  • captcha on forms
  • pagebuilder (although this should be transferrable to the normal editor)
  • tgm plugin activator
  • theme customizer
  • theme options
  • sidebar generator
  • everything else…

One thing that I’m not sure though. Since page custom fields generate content, then technically they should be moved into a plugin. But so far I’m leaning towards simply retaining those in the theme. What do you guys think?

@Envato staff, we really need specifics on this. We are currently in the dark

Acutally, styling for all plugins should resides inside plugins only ? Am i right ? Please correct me:)

178 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemePrince says

I think we should think of it like a normal plugin. There must be a general styling included in the plugin, so if you use it in any other theme, it should look good.

AND in your theme’s stylesheet you can add some extra stylings to make plugin’s layout more compatible with your current theme’s design.

350 posts Gambit
+4 more
bfintal says

I think we should think of it like a normal plugin. There must be a general styling included in the plugin, so if you use it in any other theme, it should look good. AND in your theme’s stylesheet you can add some extra stylings to make plugin’s layout more compatible with your current theme’s design.

Oh that’s what I meant, a super general styling. But nothing fancy at all

by
by
by
by
by
by