15 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
webcaos says

I’m doing like this: Let’s say i have a team showcase plugin which use CPT. Now i can not integrate it in my themes and have to move it as standalone plugin. So let’s call the plugin “webcaos-team-showcase”. I provide the plugin with a basic template/styling, so if a user switch theme the plugin will continue to work without problems even if will not be styled as the same way of the new theme. But i provide the chance to override the plugin’s template in the same way a child theme override his parent, so creating in the new theme a folder called “webcaos-team-showcase” you will have a “child” template for the plugin’s template, and each matching file inside this folder will override the plugin’s main template, exactly at the same way of child themes. In this way a user could easily edit the plugin for make it looking good with the new theme without the risk to break the plugin, and at the same time offer an easy chance to other authors to support my plugin in their themes. I think this would be a good standard for all envato authors, and i’m even up to open some rep on github for create some of these basic plugins to be used in envato themes.

But speaking about doubts i would like to have some clarification from envato staff about metaboxes for standard posts, there is no way for these to guarantee a compatibility with other themes so i guess they should stay in themes and not in plugins even if they store data.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Greetings all,

without reading through 570 comments which I don’t have the time or energy to do :) I went to the knowledge base article (from the link on the first post) on the understanding that phase 2 was to be set in place in November – as we are practically in November and after reading that it’s not clear what day or even if it will be November and so many unanswered questions can we please get something sent out via email (we all don’t have time to read forum posts this long, click links, find no answers etc) to all authors with an update and clear details along with a confirmed date possibly?

I’d appreciate if we didn’t have things here, there, and everywhere and in forum posts it doesn’t seem to be the best way of getting important info out to everyone – maybe add one of those lovely banners and messages on our dashboards as authors leading to a newly create clear and concise document?

Many thanks!

324 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
NikolaSusa says

^

I came here to ask literally the same question.

9 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
ValivaStudio says

Hello all.

Regarding CPT plugin, I have few questions, hopefully someone can help us.

Few weeks ago we started developing new theme and bundled CPT “Portfolio” in theme as everyone else was doing. Portfolio uses same meta-boxes, same JS files and same CSS files as regular wordpress post type. For example they share Flexslider, jPlayer file and similar since we have also post formats for portfolio.

Now when creating plugin for portfolio custom post type, we need to duplicate all meta-boxes/scripts/css files? So there will be flexslider.js in theme file for post format gallery and also another flexslider.js in plugin for portfolio post format gallery?

324 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
NikolaSusa says

Hello all.

Few weeks ago we started developing new theme and bundled CPT “Portfolio” in theme as everyone else was doing. Portfolio uses same meta-boxes, same JS files and same CSS files as regular wordpress post type. For example they share Flexslider, jPlayer file and similar since we have also post formats for portfolio.

Now when creating plugin for portfolio custom post type, we need to duplicate all meta-boxes/scripts/css files? So there will be flexslider.js in theme file for post format gallery and also another flexslider.js in plugin for portfolio post format gallery?

I guess that the idea is to allow users to disable post types they don’t need, so i don’t think you would need to duplicate scripts/styles.

274 posts mekshq.com
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
meks says

Hello all.

Well, I guess you don’t need to use scripts twice. You need flexslider only on frontend, right? So there is no point putting it into u plugin.

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

Can anybody from the review team let authors know if phase 2 officially started ?

401 posts Keep Walking
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
UXbarn says

Any update on this?

3426 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author