366 posts WordPress Guy
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Thank you Japh for your great effort for clarification :) I have one question.

Why “page builders” are allowed in the theme? ( phase 2)

If buyer will switch to any other theme then all content added via “page builder” will not work in another theme.

This is an interesting one, and I’d like to discuss it further, perhaps in a separate thread as I imagine it’s a contentious issue that a lot of you will have thoughts on.

Some of you seem happy with this being in a plugin, and some are very much not happy with that idea.

88 posts
    Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
DesignPuma says

@Japh I am currently develop my new wp framework. I want this framework to be compatible with the new wp themeforest standards before upload my first wp item (about 2-3 weeks). Can anybody make small review onto my framework (you, reviewer or some another tf staff)? This will be very helpful for me. :)

Thanks!

366 posts WordPress Guy
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

I have good feeling about Themeforest marketplace since Envato hired you, good move Japh :D

You’re too kind! :)

Anyway, how about theme customizer http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Customization_API Does this feature should be on theme or plugin?

This should be in the theme. In fact, this is a great way to do any visual options for a theme.

104 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Located in Australia Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
pjtops says

At the moment, we’re not requiring that the entire set of PHP coding rules, as outlined for WordPress, be followed. We’re specifying a couple of them that we do require in order to improve legibility of code. If it would be easier for you to simply follow them wholesale though, then by all means, please do!

The tabs one is a bit tricky, as wordpress does it differently from most other big PHP projects. I’m seeing a situation where I’ll have to adjust my editor every time when switching between creating themes/plugins for here, and working on other projects. If its about legibility, then how about a compromise, like for indenting, use 1 tab OR 4 spaces. Unless of-course you do plan to require full compliance to the wordpress style-guide, then it doesn’t really matter what rules you choose to start with.

115 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
nagaemas says

Thank you Japh for your great effort for clarification :) I have one question.

Why “page builders” are allowed in the theme? ( phase 2)

If buyer will switch to any other theme then all content added via “page builder” will not work in another theme.

This is an interesting one, and I’d like to discuss it further, perhaps in a separate thread as I imagine it’s a contentious issue that a lot of you will have thoughts on.

Some of you seem happy with this being in a plugin, and some are very much not happy with that idea.

Yes, I don’t think that page builders should be in theme, as that doesn’t make sense actually since shortcodes should be placed inside plugins and page builder completely depends on shortcodes (Visual Composer as a very successful plugin do that). If the shortcode plugin is deactivated, the page builder will not work anymore so it’s better not to put it into the theme.

32 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Deveraux says

Yes, I don’t think that page builders should be in theme, as that doesn’t make sense actually since shortcodes should be placed inside plugins and page builder completely depends on shortcodes (Visual Composer as a very successful plugin do that). If the shortcode plugin is deactivated, the page builder will not work anymore so it’s better not to put it into the theme.

Visual Composer wouldn’t be able to be usable if that goes through with the current licencing. If you buy an extended licence it’s for one theme.

1550 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 100+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dSKY says

Question about JavaScript files.
You stated “Authors are not allowed to deregister the default version of jQuery and load another one.”
Am I allowed to deregister the local, and load the same version via cdn?

- Another one
” If a CDN version of a library is included, a local copy must be provided as a fallback. “

If I’m loading a well known library via cdn , should I also include a local copy in the download files and that’s it, or there are some additional steps that must be taken to comply for that rule?

366 posts WordPress Guy
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Question about JavaScript files.
You stated “Authors are not allowed to deregister the default version of jQuery and load another one.”
Am I allowed to deregister the local, and load the same version via cdn?

There’s really no need to do this, and it creates an additional unnecessary dependency.

- Another one
” If a CDN version of a library is included, a local copy must be provided as a fallback. ” If I’m loading a well known library via cdn , should I also include a local copy in the download files and that’s it, or there are some additional steps that must be taken to comply for that rule?

When we say provide a local copy as fallback, we mean using a mechanism that automatically falls back to the local copy if the CDN copy fails to load. Not simply providing it with the download package.

32 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Deveraux says

One of the things that kind of worries me with moving everything to plugins, is that if something breaks in one plugin because of naming convention for example, the site will become unusable. Even with a unique prefix, there are quite a few authors here, and if there’s a couple of themes installed, I think that naming conflicts will be an issue. Maybe a larger problem then what you’ll anticipate…

And then there’s always an issue of pageload times. With an increasing amount of plugins and shortcodes in plugins, the_content() will eventually start running very slowly, since there’s quite a bit of regex involved.

33 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in United States
JonnyShogun says

Your themecheck plugin doesn’t supress the usage of cURL. Is that intended?
Yes, that is intended. Instead of using cURL, you should use WordPress’ wp_remote_request() function.

What about the new Twitter API oAuth.. it uses curl. So what do we do about that since the new Twitter API since in order to use the new twitter requests, you must use there new API oAth files. You have to setup a Twitter developer app to use with the new Twitter APi which uses curl. So will this be a problem???

by
by
by
by
by
by