10 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
oo7ml says

Hi,

Can someone explain what the best way is to update a theme.

Every theme that i use i always end up making a few small changes to css etc.

However even if i don’t change anything, every time I try and update a theme, my sites always loose all of the theme settings (logo, widgets, menus etc)

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your help…

88 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
hainug says

The common way to edit css is on
1. custom.css, so you just need to backup this file and reupload after updating theme.
2. Using child theme.

Usually, widget and other setting is not changed.

To prevent this, i always have backup site on my local server, with the same setting on live server. and did backup of my backup site before updating :D

10 posts
oo7ml says

Hi, thanks.

So should i always create a child theme for each site (theme)?

When an update comes out, do i literally just delete all of the files in the theme folder and put the new files in there or is there another way?

331 posts Yes We Can
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
CRIK0VA says

Hi,

I’m an author and all my items contains a Custom CSS field. And on each update the custom css is saved automaticaly.

Also the child theme is a good idea too. But not all items on Themeforest support childthemes.

Have a good day

10 posts
oo7ml says

Thanks CRIK0VA.

Can you elaborate on what you mean about “update the custom css is saved automatically”.

Also, can you confirm what is actually the best way to update a theme? Do you just delete all files in the current theme folder and then drop in the new files or how do you update themes?

331 posts Yes We Can
+5 more
CRIK0VA says

Hi, the custom CSS is a textarea field in Theme options panel. the user paste his custom CSS code in that field. When he update he can simply remove the old theme and install the new. All Data (Custom CSS too) will be saved automaticaly in his new theme version. Have a good day

10 posts
oo7ml says

Hi, the custom CSS is a textarea field in Theme options panel. the user paste his custom CSS code in that field. When he update he can simply remove the old theme and install the new. All Data (Custom CSS too) will be saved automaticaly in his new theme version. Have a good day

Hi, thanks but i still don’t know what the best way is to update a new released version of the theme.

If i have a theme called ‘theme01’ and then a new update ‘theme01a’ comes out, how do i go about updating the theme?

331 posts Yes We Can
+5 more
CRIK0VA says

Who is your theme author? Contact the author and ask how to update his theme) Have a good day

by
by
by
by
by
by