6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
FariDesign says

Hi,

I have a question regarding the jquery hashchange plugin. I want to use in one my projects (jquery plugin). I am planing to sell it on Envato CodeCanyon. What are my license options for my plugin? Can I use your jquery hashchange plugin in my plugin and what should I include?

the jquery hashchange information: plugin: http://benalman.com/projects/jquery-hashchange-plugin/ licenses: Copyright © 2010 “Cowboy” Ben Alman, Dual licensed under the MIT and GPL licenses.

Thank you very much

177 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
DragonSigh says

Just read mentioned licenses.

MIT
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the “Software”), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
GPL (from GPL FAQ )
If I use a piece of software that has been obtained under the GNU GPL , am I allowed to modify the original code into a new program, then distribute and sell that new program commercially?

You are allowed to sell copies of the modified program commercially, but only under the terms of the GNU GPL . Thus, for instance, you must make the source code available to the users of the program as described in the GPL , and they must be allowed to redistribute and modify it as described in the GPL .

These requirements are the condition for including the GPL -covered code you received in a program of your own.
+Regular License terms
If the whole, or part, of the Work has been created using materials which are the subject of a GNU General Public License (GPL), your use of the Work (or part Work) is subject to the specific terms of the GPL in place of the foregoing conditions (to the extent the GPL applies).
6 posts
+1 more
FariDesign says

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed response. So it means if I include the plugin in my plugin and sell it on codecanyon, anyone how buys my plugin can modify my plugin and sell it as well?

What are the envato/codecanyon licenses, does it override the other public license?

Thanks

177 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
DragonSigh says
Thank you very much for your quick and detailed response. So it means if I include the plugin in my plugin and sell it on codecanyon, anyone how buys my plugin can modify my plugin and sell it as well?
As I understand, no, with regular license, under GPL remains only this part of your software, so anyone can modify and sell this part. But with Extended License anyone can modify and only then resell your work.

What are the envato/codecanyon licenses, does it override the other public license?
You can read it here: http://codecanyon.net/licenses/regular_extended
Also a useful link: http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/396/70/codecanyon-license-usage-examples
6 posts
+1 more
FariDesign says

Thanks again, but how make I sure that the software I make is under GPL and under regular license?

What will happen with licensing if I give the user the options to include the other plugin instead I add it to my code?

I don’t want to give the buyer right to resale my software/plugin. What are the envato/codecanyon options for me.

Thank you so much

F

654 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
Typps says

@FariDesign the plugin you indicate is dual licensed as you state in your post, this means you can pick either MIT or GPL , which ever is more compatible with your project.

MIT is a lot more commercial friendly than the GPL in this instance, as you plan on releasing a commercial product based on it. So my advise to you is simple. Read the MIT licensing terms and move on with your project. There are many projects here in codecanyon itself that depend on jQuery at a minimum which used to be dual licensed MIT /GPL.

Recently jQuery has decided to drop GPL in favor of MIT . MIT clearly being GPL compatible and at the same time more liberal in what you can do with the software commercially than the GPL .

I am not a lawyer and cannot give you legal advise but with dual licensing, you can pick the license that is more compatible with your project. So pick MIT .

6 posts
+1 more
FariDesign says

Thanks, can I just put the license information in my plugin or create a separate which contains license information.

Is there a options in codecanyon which mark the software/plugin as MIT license.

F

654 posts
+1 more
Typps says

Pricing and licensing are maintained by the marketplace and as such I do nothing in this regard. I suppose you could follow my lead.

As for third party scripts your project relies on, I suggest you keep the licensing information in the header part of the code intact as-is. When you submit a project, it needs to be reviewed by the marketplace and they will tell you if there is a problem and what you need to do to comply and so forth. This is my experience anyway.

Good luck with your project ^^

654 posts
+1 more
Typps says

Thanks, can I just put the license information in my plugin or create a separate which contains license information. Is there a options in codecanyon which mark the software/plugin as MIT license.

Now as i re-read what you are asking it seems to me that you are literally trying to pick a license for the third party plugin your using as it is dual licensed.

You don’t have to do that. The license of the thirdparty plugin is dual licensed, this means, if your project that depends on this plugin is gpl licensed, then the GPL is in effect, whereas if your project has a license of it’s own, in this case a codecanyon license, then it’s assumed the MIT part will kick in, as MIT allows this use case comfortably without requiring you do anything special to comply.

That’s why I suggested earlier that you keep any licensing information in your thirdparty plugin as is. The review team will look at this too.

6 posts
+1 more
FariDesign says

Once I uploaded my project, can I make changes to it? What are the rules for changing once you uploaded your poject?

Thank you

by
by
by
by
by
by