53 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
-ilove2design- says

I got some suggestions to improve the system here…

1st: I got a problem with the support system here. A BIG problem.

In my eyes it’s really stupid to ask for support (as purchaser) from an author via the comments. And the “best” thing is that the TF Wiki is teaching purchasers to do it that way…

Wouldn’t it be 100 times easier and better to create something like a “Support” icon and place it somewhere on the right at the “Item Attributes”?

So if a purchaser got a problem then he doesn’t need to write a comment and wait and hope that the author will see this comment (I know you can subscribe to the comments but then you also get this “nice theme!” comments…)

He could just press the “help button” and the author would get a mail. And I check my mails more often then the comments here :P

Maybe with a “One of your customers needs support on theme XYZ ” subject in the mail? :)

I mean… comments are for comments. Comments like “nice theme, great job” or “I found a bug in this theme. can you fix XY YZ ?”

Supporting via comments just sucks, especially when you accidentally press the “report comment” instead the “reply” button .

2nd thing: File updates

Isn’t there a way to send a mail out to the purchasers of a theme when it was updated? I got some people asking me “hey, where can I get the update” – I guess my suggestion would solve this problem and reduce such questions :P

Basis for this would be that the files really get updated when you upgrade them but that’s another story :P

Cheers!

962 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
EireStudio says
I got some suggestions to improve the system here…

1st: I got a problem with the support system here. A BIG problem.

In my eyes it’s really stupid to ask for support (as purchaser) from an author via the comments. And the “best” thing is that the TF Wiki is teaching purchasers to do it that way…

Wouldn’t it be 100 times easier and better to create something like a “Support” icon and place it somewhere on the right at the “Item Attributes”?

So if a purchaser got a problem then he doesn’t need to write a comment and wait and hope that the author will see this comment (I know you can subscribe to the comments but then you also get this “nice theme!” comments…)

+1 – Excellent suggestion!

4908 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Regarding your first question. Asking questions in the comments is an encouraged practice because your comment is visible to all other buyers. There is a possibility that someone else in the comment thread could help you out with the issue. Also if the author answers your question in the comments, then anyone that may have the same issue down the line can get their answer in the comments without having to wait.

Regarding the mail for support button. This a bit trickier, because authors are not required to provide support on their files. Only time authors are required to go back to an old file is if there is a bug, in which case they MUST fix it. But if its just a question you may be having, the author is not required to provide assistance. Providing a support contact button may not work because of this. But if you want to contact the author to inquire about support, just click the avatar to get to their profile page, and scroll down a bit. On the right sidebar you will see a contact form that mails your message directly to the author.

Regarding your second suggestion. This has been discussed many times, and I think a big part of it not being in place is to prevent unwanted emails. I think if this was introduced to the system, it would also require an opt in selection to the buyers so they can choose to receive updates.

364 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
chrisfay says

Regarding file updates – I also have had issues with customers inability to stay up to date on changes made to my themes. Although you can create an rss feed and post it in your description, its a bit clunky and they’d have to maintain a reader of some kind.

I have been working on an interim solution until Envato chooses to implement this…

LogPush.com

A webapp that willl do a number of things when it goes live in the next week or so:

1. Provide a public view of any changes to your projects/themes
2. Allow users to subscribe to a project for notifications of updates made
3. Provide an embed link and/or a simple url so you can add your list of changes right into your item description on TF (or whatever site you use).
4…more to come

You’ll get one project free and for $5 /mo you get unlimited – I think its pretty fair considering you get that for basically the cost of one sold item (will help me pay for hosting and whatnot). I released the EnvatoTracker for free/open source and figured I might try getting a bit $ in return for this one…

Feel free to browse over there and add your email address to be notified once it goes live shortly and curious of any feedback…

by
by
by
by
by
by