53 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
GreenTreeLabs says

Yeah, this is “funny”. A user asked me support because an item of mine was not working. After half an hour of debugging I saw that he was using a javascript downloaded from the demo site, where I inserted some control code that blocks the script under this kind of circumstances.

He said that an intermediate gave the file to him and now, the intermediate is unreachable.

Well, what to say? Nice story, at least.

3858 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
charlie4282 says

You say sorry – I can’t help you please go to Themeforest and come back with a license ID! So sorry to hear of these situations!

240 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
phpdude says

I’ve had this on one or two occasions, so I always ensure they’re a genuine buyer before asking for post-support.

However saying that, I am very polite and subtle about it because on a few occasions people do buy using a different account and then submit a question via another (for example a developer asking for support from their account when using an item purchased via their client). I kind of play it dumb like “Oh, for some reason it says you haven’t bought the item yet?” or “I can’t seem to locate your purchase history for that item” etc.

tl;dr Be vigilant, but be subtle, as people often buy with another account and request support from another and are still genuine buyers

1461 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

I’ve had this happen a couple of times. The best thing to do is reply nicely and let them know that you would love to help them get it working, but since they cannot supply a purchase code that there is a $75 support fee (or whatever amount you want, make it higher than normal). Out of the 3 times this has happened, two of them paid for support so I ended up better off in the long run :)

506 posts Code is Poetry
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 50+ members
+3 more
egemenerd says
53 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
GreenTreeLabs says

Yes, I know sometimes user buy with the account of their client, so I usually don’t bother them, but this time my control code saved me to give this guy a gift, even if I spent my 1/2 hour.

I don’t really understand how they risk their face for just few dollars… however.

177 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
enFusionThemes says

Hey,

Some people just do not hesitate to try and see if they can be caught or not. I have a tracking system on my coded items. I sent a DMCA notice to a guy who was using my item illegally on his website, The response I got from him was this.

“Paying $XX is not a issue for me, its like a penny for me. However, i tried to use your product and its not working, contact form is not working and a few other things are not working so i am going to NOT recommend your items to my friends and i am not going to use it on my website anymore.”

oh yeah buddy, that’s because you downloaded it from warez website…

BTW…. DMCA did not work because guess what, the guy was from a country with no respect for copyrights :)

1815 posts
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+12 more
SamBerson says

oh yeah buddy, that’s because you downloaded it from w**ez website…

Don’t use the dreaded ‘w’ word! :P

4332 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

Guys, I’m sorry to have to lock this but it will innevitably hit the point where it becomes against forum rules. My humble recomandation for this would be to ask that person if they have the email address of the person who offered them support, at the same time, offer them a link to your item, and request they purchase it whilst explaining the situation.

If they can provide you with an email address or a marketplace username for the person who provided them the item, please open a support ticket and notify staff of the situation so they may take appropiate action against the person that’s offering items without a purchase!

Thanks guys!

by
by
by
by
by
by