48 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GreenTreeLabs says

Yeah, this is “funny”. A user asked me support because an item of mine was not working. After half an hour of debugging I saw that he was using a javascript downloaded from the demo site, where I inserted some control code that blocks the script under this kind of circumstances.

He said that an intermediate gave the file to him and now, the intermediate is unreachable.

Well, what to say? Nice story, at least.

3710 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

You say sorry – I can’t help you please go to Themeforest and come back with a license ID! So sorry to hear of these situations!

235 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
phpdude says

I’ve had this on one or two occasions, so I always ensure they’re a genuine buyer before asking for post-support.

However saying that, I am very polite and subtle about it because on a few occasions people do buy using a different account and then submit a question via another (for example a developer asking for support from their account when using an item purchased via their client). I kind of play it dumb like “Oh, for some reason it says you haven’t bought the item yet?” or “I can’t seem to locate your purchase history for that item” etc.

tl;dr Be vigilant, but be subtle, as people often buy with another account and request support from another and are still genuine buyers

1402 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

I’ve had this happen a couple of times. The best thing to do is reply nicely and let them know that you would love to help them get it working, but since they cannot supply a purchase code that there is a $75 support fee (or whatever amount you want, make it higher than normal). Out of the 3 times this has happened, two of them paid for support so I ended up better off in the long run :)

492 posts Code is Poetry
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
egemenerd says
48 posts
  • Italy
  • Exclusive Author
GreenTreeLabs says

Yes, I know sometimes user buy with the account of their client, so I usually don’t bother them, but this time my control code saved me to give this guy a gift, even if I spent my 1/2 hour.

I don’t really understand how they risk their face for just few dollars… however.

161 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
enFusionThemes says

Hey,

Some people just do not hesitate to try and see if they can be caught or not. I have a tracking system on my coded items. I sent a DMCA notice to a guy who was using my item illegally on his website, The response I got from him was this.

“Paying $XX is not a issue for me, its like a penny for me. However, i tried to use your product and its not working, contact form is not working and a few other things are not working so i am going to NOT recommend your items to my friends and i am not going to use it on my website anymore.”

oh yeah buddy, that’s because you downloaded it from warez website…

BTW…. DMCA did not work because guess what, the guy was from a country with no respect for copyrights :)

1735 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+5 more
SamBerson says

oh yeah buddy, that’s because you downloaded it from w**ez website…

Don’t use the dreaded ‘w’ word! :P

4146 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

Guys, I’m sorry to have to lock this but it will innevitably hit the point where it becomes against forum rules. My humble recomandation for this would be to ask that person if they have the email address of the person who offered them support, at the same time, offer them a link to your item, and request they purchase it whilst explaining the situation.

If they can provide you with an email address or a marketplace username for the person who provided them the item, please open a support ticket and notify staff of the situation so they may take appropiate action against the person that’s offering items without a purchase!

Thanks guys!

by
by
by
by
by
by