1182 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
campolar says

I wanna include a photo from iStockPhoto in a template i’ll be selling here soon. Although i know its not allowed to included without a proper license, is it right for me to do this?: I’ll use the watermarked version (which has a cross and says iStockPhoto) and tell that the purchaser will have to use his own image (i can replace the image for him/her for free) or buy the image from the iStockPhoto link?

Is this fine? Official comments appreciated :)

415 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
osigrandi says

I don’t think it’s legal, even if it’s watermaked..the only legal way would be to purchase the license. But do you really need to use that particular picture?

Envato has an asset library as well and you can use their images for free and without expecting any kind of trouble.

1182 posts
campolar says

Well i thought it was allowed because i remember once noticing a template in which a stock photo was used with watermark, and the designer said that you’ll have to buy it on your own.

I do know the assets library, but i’m using an image of a server, which the assets library doesn’t have :(

1148 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
fillerspace says

Maybe one slipped through the cracks, but don’t count on it in your case. Use the Envato asset library to be safe. In the actual template, if the end user can’t use that image, you should replace it maybe with a gray box the same size as the image as a placeholder.

1182 posts
campolar says

Thanks for the tip :)

I’d also like to see some official word from jeff or someone?

by
by
by
by
by
by