147 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
Jozoor says

hi all, i need to know what is the best way to support post formats in theme :

- using default post formats from WordPress ?
or
- using custom fields ( metaboxes ) with option [ post type ] which contain [ image, video, slider, SoundCloud and others ..] and depend on it in theme ?

thanks

172 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
MsTrends says

In my upcoming theme i’m adopting this method …

For Video Format: it grabs first native video shortcode [video] inserted in the post and use it as thumbnail and featured image.

For Audio Format: grabs first native audio shortcode [audio] inserted in the post and use it.

For Gallery: grab first native gallery shortcode [gallery] in the post and use it as thumbnail and featured images.

For standard format: it uses featured image simply.

Not a fan of using custom metaboxes for defining such functionality for blog posts. Thinking to support other formats in the same way but by using custom shortcodes e.g [blockquote] [Vimeo] [Youtube] ... etc.

And shortcodes will be defined in a plugin which can be used with any theme

172 posts
+2 more
MsTrends says

But from end user point of view regarding usability, i’m still wondering what would be the best approach to adopt.

BTW, if there are default radio buttons for post formats, why are you even considering using custom fields to set these formats?

291 posts mekshq.com
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
meks says

Good question. We have some doubts about this as well… Post formats, if you mean WordPress Post Formats, are wordpress common optional feature and we think they shouldn’t be made with additional fields nor shortcodes related only to specific theme. Because, they should be compatible with other themes that support same post formats as well. If you add additional metaboxes, once the user deactivates your theme he will loose that content.

Of, course our themes and many other themes are using metaboxes for custom stuff for some additional images, videos, galleries, which are related to particular theme, but we think that in such case we shouldn’t call those feature “post formats”. It’s clearly stated what post formats are and how they should be inserted and handled: http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Formats

We would also like to hear more opinions on this :)

172 posts
+2 more
MsTrends says

Good question. We have some doubts about this as well… Post formats, if you mean WordPress Post Formats, are wordpress common optional feature and we think they shouldn’t be made with additional fields nor shortcodes related only to specific theme. Because, they should be compatible with other themes that support same post formats as well. If you add additional metaboxes, once the user deactivates your theme he will loose that content.

Of, course our themes and many other themes are using metaboxes for custom stuff for some additional images, videos, galleries, which are related to particular theme, but we think that in such case we shouldn’t call those feature “post formats”. It’s clearly stated what post formats are and how they should be inserted and handled: http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Formats

yeah, but unfortunately there is no standard defined yet regarding post formats presentation from coding point of view.

291 posts mekshq.com
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
meks says

yeah, but unfortunately there is no standard defined yet regarding post formats presentation from coding point of view.

Agree, but post formats are actually matter of styling on front-end, not special back-end functionality. I think it’s best to write some good documentation and let the users know how they should enter each supported post format properly than creating custom code only for your theme. WordPress has already done all the work regarding post formats coding. Just use the_content() to display it.

1339 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

Here is the WP Post Format UI that was pulled just before 3.6:

https://github.com/crowdfavorite/wp-post-formats

It’s development continues in tis plugin, and may be integrated into the core in the future :)

172 posts
+2 more
MsTrends says

Agree, but post formats are actually matter of styling on front-end, not special back-end functionality. I think it’s best to write some good documentation and let the users know how they should enter each supported post format properly than creating custom code only for your theme. WordPress has already done all the work regarding post formats coding. Just use the_content() to display it.

I did’nt understand, except specific classes of post formats what WordPress has done regarding post formats functionality?

172 posts
+2 more
MsTrends says

Here is the WP Post Format UI that was pulled just before 3.6: https://github.com/crowdfavorite/wp-post-formats It’s development continues in tis plugin, and may be integrated into the core in the future :)

yeah i heared about it, but is it a good decision to incorporate this plugin functionality in our themes at this stage when it is still in development process?

147 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
+3 more
Jozoor says

so now i see the best method is ” Display Metaboxes According to the Current Post Format ” if i need to add more options for any format, but if i need to add new post types example [ slider, LightBox and SoundCloud or other ] what should i do if i depend on this default post formats ?

by
by
by
by
by
by