• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

I noticed what I believe to be the first template using Flash show up today. It’s got me wondering to what extent will Flash be allowed on themeforest? Also after a few more come in and they don’t put Flash in the title how is the common buyer going to know that it’s using Flash and not js?

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

Yeah I noticed that one too this morning. Everyone just make sure that you specifically mention in the description that you’re using Flash. That’s an important one.

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Hey Shadow, its not a flash website…is an html site with a flash navigation and RSS button…I dont think this is a huge deal…

As far as I know Flash is allowed to be used in files…if you want a flash banner or something along those lines, as long as its implemented and works I dont see the harm in that.

Only thing that needs to be done, like Jeff said is make sure its stated, and things like banners and anything else would need to be explained in the documentation.

I personally do not think I would include any flash unless it could be updated/modified dynamically, so even if the buyer doesnt know or have flash they could modify the element using an XML file.

322 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

@xdozex – I wasn’t implying that it was a flash website or that it’s a big deal but rather that there is currently nothing stating that it may use flash by default. This file happens to clearly state that it uses Flash but in the future if more comes in are they always going to say Flash in the title? A couple of years ago if you were to see a menu animating you would immediately know that it must be using Flash. That doesn’t hold true today with all of the js frameworks making it easy to create animations. Both methods have their limitations and going by the questions that come up from buyers they may not notice that it requires Flash 8, CS2 or even CS3 to make certain modifications.

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Very well said…I wasnt totally disagreeing with you…just elaborating in case any other users wanted to know.

If flash is used it will require a statement that “Flash is used in this project”...and which version is required…additionally like I said above, I think it would be best if authors that used flash tried to only use flash that could be updated or changed dynamically. Of course this isnt required but would be helpful.

Websites can be modified in nothing more than notepad, but non-dynamic flash requires…well…Flash. So dynamic would help.

118 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+1 more
elisent says

Our second template uses flash as well for the banner rotator. I believe that limited use of flash in a web template is not a bad thing. Also, our rotator is mostly customisable using the xml so untill a certain point all can be modified without flash from the xml.

by
by
by
by
by
by