23 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • United States
bravewhale says

I see so many theme previews with beautiful images from Pixar, Disney, and other movies that I only assume are copyrighted images. Are they breaking copyright laws by using these, and where can I get images like this to legally use in my theme previews?

Thanks!

3118 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says
tronicscribe said
I see so many theme previews with beautiful images from Pixar, Disney, and other movies that I only assume are copyrighted images. Are they breaking copyright laws by using these, and where can I get images like this to legally use in my theme previews? Thanks!

yes they are breaking copyright laws by using them

23 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
bravewhale says

How do these themes pass the Themeforest review and get accepted to the marketplace if in fact the images they use are copyrighted? Is it possible there is a repository of these high quality Pixar / other movie images that are in fact public domain and free to use?

301 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
squaredWeb says

As far as i understood it from the last thread about that topic envato approves the themes, since they dont really care about the copyright violation, because they only have a link to another website, so they dont actually violate anything since the copyrighted images are not included in the themes downloadable here.

The authors on the other hand either dont know better or do it on purpose to enhance their sales and just hope they earned enough bonus money from the nice previews to cover the legal costs.

Personally i dont really care, i just jiggle everytime i see one of those authors complaining in a theme piracy thread.

2211 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+4 more
crozer says

Yes, using these images is against copyright-law. I assume that Envato still accepts themes/products containing such images because these images are used for demonstration-purposes only, and are not being resold independently.

54 posts
hothoundz says
crozer said
these images are used for demonstration-purposes only, and are not being resold independently.

It’s still violating someone’s copyright…as you know. Rather thank risk a LARGE claim against you in the future why not use Photodune?

2211 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+4 more
crozer says
hothoundz said
crozer said
these images are used for demonstration-purposes only, and are not being resold independently.
It’s still violating someone’s copyright…as you know. Rather thank risk a LARGE claim against you in the future why not use Photodune?

Precisely.

606 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Blog Editor
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Forum Moderator
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
+9 more
Siddharth Staff says

I speak for myself so please take this with a grain of salt:

I’m not sure what copyrights are being violated here. We don’t allow such images to be resold and are only present in the live preview. What can and can’t be included in a live demo is a very fuzzy part.

Specially because pictures aren’t movies, and thus displaying an image from a movie does in no way steal anything from the movie—if anything, it only increases awareness. Places like Wikipedia or IMDB show screen captures from movies and I don’t see how they’re allowed to stay open if they’re infringing copyrights.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

3007 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

So we bought images for nothing… COOL !

178 posts Challenge accepted.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Austria
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
bloooming says

I think this is pretty self-explanatory: You can not use somebody else’s artwork, unless they grant you permission to do so. (Wikipedia is very strict about that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Image_use_policy)

Since a theme preview has kind of a commercial purpose, this could end very badly.

The only reason why copyright infringers are getting away with it, is because the movie studios do not care. But you never know when they’ll decide to make an example, and sue somebody’s ass off. And since the web never forgets anything, I would be careful with that ;-)

by
by
by
by
by
by