12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
pamelarbaril says

dear authors friends,

i am new to coding and am considering to start selling themes on market place but i am a newbie and as am new to wordpress i have a made a theme by altering using other authors .css, $ .js coding so i was wondering whether it permissible on market place or will it get rejected.

or can i use the codeing of others by crediting their names on the in my themes or just use it

please help

1578 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

If you don’t have proper permissions to copy the code from other themes, then NO, you can’t sell the themes here. If you find some functions on the internet and it says you’re allowed to use them in any commercial theme, then yes, you can use them.

Most likely, a theme with most of the code copied will be hard-rejected.

111 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • South Africa
WebDesignFudge says

Final Destiny is right, but on top of that, if you use code from other TF authors you will receive a DMCA take down notice from the author as well. So all around, it’s a bad idea.

948 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
+1 more
tommusrhodus says

Whilst you may be able to modify others code to the point that no-one would notice it wasn’t yours, my short answer would be;

DON ’T!!!

Why? Well there’s a number of reasons but the main being ethics and transparency. I would go all the way into it but I’m sure someone else will expand on my comment, but here’s one more problem for you. If you lack the basic Wordpress skills to build a wordpress site by yourself, then how do you think you’ll paw through someone elses code with any success?

Learn how to hand code for wordpress, create something original, save yourself a lot of (potentially legal) hassle and build something you can truly be proud of!

Good luck!

3249 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

From a technical point of view .. you could completely rip off a user’s php code and upload it on the markeplace, because php is gpl and the author has no rights on his code :D

but with html/css/js is another story..

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
pamelarbaril says

i just read on net the .js also comes in GPL license so can i use some of the codeing or should i not??

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
pamelarbaril says

Brandon says: July 10, 2009 at 7:21 pm

@Hyder: Agreed – although the JS effects largely depend on the use-case though. In many cases, even this is GPL as the jQuery scripts that most users use (jCarousel, prettyPhoto, slider, etc.) are also GPL or some other form of open source. I think that while each of these tools might be GPL , it’s the “whole package” including the CSS and images that are the true value to users. Quite literally anyone can download Wordpress and jQuery (as an example) and put together some rudimentary functionality within XYZ -days – it’s the unique styling and design (including the layout) that brings the value to the table for most buyers. That’s just conjecture on my part, but I think the community would agree.

I don’t think the Automattic folks are out to put anyone out of business, but drawing a line in the sand and saying that their core code is open source is a pretty important thing for them to do because it protects their intellectual property the same way most WP themers are trying to protect their own IP. This is simply another step in defining the legalities surrounding web design when an open source framework is involved. Anyways, love it or hate it, I think this has spurred some very interesting discussion in this post.

3249 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

.js doesn’t come in gpl..

3364 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Legal or not, it is my understanding that code taken from other authors without their permission will not be accepted in these marketplaces. House rules.

1644 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
dnp_theme says

Legal or not, it is my understanding that code taken from other authors without their permission will not be accepted in these marketplaces. House rules.

I didn’t like some other author copied some of my js without my permission, I reported him and got his item deleted. The thing is he got lots of sales for that specific item, and I didn’t want any deal with the author, I wanted my items to keep the exclusivity of the features.

If I make a header in my PHP , CSS, HTML , JS file with my commercial copyright notice, I can sue anyone with copyright infringement, ESPECIALLY if I have my own custom code in there, with some unique functions.

Under these circumstances, you make sure you take good care of your actions because most of the authors here make a living here and cannot allow you to get SOOO great kickstart. You have to take it the hard way anyway.

by
by
by
by
by
by