• Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+13 more
scottwills Staff says

can pictures of celebrities be used in the preview if it has the appropriate license? (such as Attribution 3.0 unported) :)

As some have already attested to, no, this is not allowed. Take a look at What about using photos of people and celebrities in items? in our What assets can I use in my items? article. Keeps things really simple, consistent and as fair as possible:

Source: Product Trademark Help Guidelines Flowchart

2519 posts Marketplace Community Manager
  • Community Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • United States
+13 more
scottwills Staff says

What’s happen if I link a site of an existing client that uses our theme, for demo purposes and with his agreement? Am I allowed to do so ?

Hi pixelgrade! We would not recommend linking to a client version of your site for several reasons. You might not be in control of it, It could break, and it could get removed at any moment in time without you knowing (until someone points it out to you). Additionally, if you ever add new features/functionality, you would want to display those things and not rely on your client.

Furthermore, and as per the ThemeForest upload page, it states below the Demo field: “Link to a live preview on your own hosting (i.e. http://my-site.com/demo/)."

Hope this answers your question!

273 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
candeed says

People should play safe when dealing with law.

If we’re not sure about doing a thing then better not do it

since it might break someone’s right.

• Community Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • United States
+13 more
scottwills Staff says

So we can’t use an iPhone, MacBook etc, in the slider of the homepage (like the 99% of the themes) now?

Good question, lollum! If I’ve understood correctly and you’re referring so something like the following where there’s an identifiable, trademarked smartphone being used in an image slider of a theme…

...then no, this is not permitted. So while we’re under our soft launch period, they are allowed, but once we launch officially after we’ve heard and taken everyone’s feedback on board, this kind of use will no longer be permitted.

You can use images like a smartphone, laptop and desktop combination only to show that your theme is responsive as that’s an example of illustrating compatibility of your item.

You can also use this type of product image if it’s relevant to how a buyer might implement the theme – i.e. it’s relevant to the subject or ‘theme’ (no pun intended) of your theme! However, if the product is not relevant to the nature of your theme, then find another picture that is relevant and use your creative control/discretion in another manner that avoids potential IP/trademark issues.

By all means let me know if I misunderstood the question in any way. :)

• Community Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • United States
+13 more
scottwills Staff says

People should play safe when dealing with law.

If we’re not sure about doing a thing then better not do it

since it might break someone’s right.

Wise words of wisdom, candeed, well said!

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Hi Scott – just a quick question if I may (edit: not so quick in the end sorry!).

You say that non identifying images of smartphones, for example in this case I’m going to detail, are not allowed. So, if creating a landing page for an app for an Apple iPhone are you saying that the iPhone cannot be represented? I ask as Apple are quite clear with appropriate use of images of their products and state that to advertise your app you can indeed use images of their product – something I recently learned was that the device must be show in it’s entirety – i.e. you can’t just show the top half of an iPhone with say a screen shot of your app, but has to show the whole iPhone with your screenshot etc.

As the landing page would be designed to advertise a product for use on their property, and they provide legal use for this case, and according to Envato rules it’s appropriately related to the purpose of the landing page then I presume we are legally good?

However I just want to make sure.

Another instance, I can go to Graphic River and purchase recreations – to the pixel – of everything Apple (iMacs, iPhones, iPads etc) I presume that because of the new legal changes they will all be removed from GraphicRiver in time as they are solely copying a registered product owned quite strictly by Apple – or could I purchase one of these from Graphic River and use that in my landing page (would be the same effect as using a proper image of the iPhone in my example above) – if I can’t use a photo, but I can use a graphical representation sold from your other marketplace that seems to be in direct competition to the new legal rules?

Jonathan

29 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Italy
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
lollum says

Hi Scott,

Yes, you’ve uderstood correctly.

You can use images like a smartphone, laptop and desktop combination only to show that your theme is responsive as that’s an example of illustrating compatibility of your item.

So, if I’ve unserstood, we can use in an image slider a smartphone to show that our theme is responsive (“image used to illustrate compatibility with the real world product”). But, we can’t use an identificable smartphone (iPhone for example). Or only “trademark” smartphones?

Thanks, Benito

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Turkey
astoneir says

why envato not make copyright weapons for author Thats make me :D easy and original from envato studio.

we cant must search and create font, model, interface, mock up,presentation & maybe likely for buyer without get blank file (model not include). 3hours for design but 1 day prepare for publish “thats iam” (sorry my english mars version :ohrly: )

397 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
theAlThemist says

What’s the situation with systems like OpenCart that comes with a default demo content on installation? In OpenCart it’s mostly Apple products?

Can we use the default OpenCart installation to showcase the theme would work bolt-on with the System or not?

86 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Canada
roshaneingram says

Time to really start thinking outside the box folks.

by
by
by
by
by
by