2329 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
CreativeMilk says

Just seeing some themes using the term ‘HTML5’ in the title of the item(file name), but these files dont have any HTML5 stuff in it, its just HTML4 .

Is this allowed and smart to do, because for what i know you can get an refund if the file isn’t what is said, and shouldnt the reviewers pay attention to this?

(i am not going to share the links, so dont ask ;-))

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Thanks for not sharing links, as it’s not cool to call out authors in the forums, better to message them directly and ask about it :)

If you do find an item like that though, perhaps you could submit a support ticket and ask someone to check into it?

I mean, HTML4 and HTML5 can be almost identical. So do you mean the doctype declaration is incorrect for HTML5 ? Or do you just mean that there are HTML5 features you expected that aren’t being used in these items?

641 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
theAlThemist says

What CreativeMilk meant was that the doctype declaration is the ONLY HTML5 element in those themes.

I was wondering the same thing for months. It is strange that even in a stupid country like my country it is ILLEGAL and such practices would lead to HUGE fines from the “Commission for Consumer Protection”. Also repeatedly violating the law (more than twice) would lead to closing the business.

It is strange that a reputable marketplace tolerate such practices as I am pretty sure there is such a law in Australia too. ;)

And I am pretty sure this business falls under the regulations of the international private law.

My wife ( a lawyer ) could make a good money if my income wasn’t related to Envato. :D

It is the same if you pack BoniBon in M&Ms package – is it M&M if it says M&M. Some people makes a living (and a good one) suing for this type of things.

P.S.: No offense – just making some mouth/finger gymnastics. ;)

251 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
web_gab says

Koev, I suppose your wife should first define what exactly means HTML 5 . I am guessing that if you define a doctype as html 5, it is a html 5 document even though it doesn’t have any fancy new kind of html 5 elements. The browsers will render it as HTML5 . The w3org validator will validate it as HTML5 . I personally don’t use any html5 elements because they’re not implemented in all browsers and I avoid declaring a doc as html5 but I am not judging those that does. It’s nobody’s fault that you can declare a document as html 5 and use only html4 elements. Or perhaps you can blame w3.org. I am guessing it is used as a marketing tool. It’s just like the iphone: it does nothing more than an android device (sometimes it does even less) but it’s incredibly cool!

5387 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

I think there could be some common sense applied here. For example, if a theme uses HTML5 tags (nav, footer, etc.) then it’s an “html5” theme. Or a theme that prominently uses HTML5 features such as Canvas, Audio or Video would also qualify. A DocType isn’t really enough IMO , but I guess the real question is does it matter to customers or just other authors?

2329 posts
+6 more
CreativeMilk says

The only thing there thats HTML5 is the missing doc type, there are no HTML5 tags there, no markup…...so it’s what koev said, but i have a better example, its saying that its a wordpress theme but in real live its a plain static non php non wordpress theme.

Respect to the author of these files but in my opion you cant sell something if the name dont match the content of the product.

I love the reviewers here but they should have seen this.

2241 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 200+ members
+11 more
crozer says

duotive also made a point, once, about this. It’s pure marketing. But it should not be allowed, as it is not fair to themes that actually include (or are even based on) HTML5 .

2329 posts
+6 more
CreativeMilk says

Yes its marketing, but it shouldn’t be allowed.

I am thinking of naming our next theme ‘TheCoolTheme – a creative HTML6 & CSS4 theme’,

2241 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 200+ members
+11 more
crozer says

Yes its marketing, but it shouldn’t be allowed. I am thinking of naming our next theme ‘TheCoolTheme – a creative HTML6 & CSS4 theme’,

You need to take RAM manufacturers as an example. Instead of calling one of their new products “GreatBrand 8GB RAM DDR3 1333Mhz”, they take all the information that actually matters and replace it by “GreatBrand Mega 8GB RAMx Dual-Force of Death 3000GX.. Limited Edition”.

So yeah, I’ll try that with my next theme haha.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Let’s face it, marketing based on “HTML 5” is pretty slim anyway. Marketing should be based on features, not a specific version of a specific technology. Saying “HTML 5” will pretty soon be like saying “HTML”, and what sort of marketing would it be to say “This website contains HTML ”? ;)

I am thinking of naming our next theme ‘TheCoolTheme – a creative HTML6 & CSS4 theme’,

I guess you could do that to prove a point. But wouldn’t you be lying then? As there is no HTML 6 , yet the authors you’d be trying to prove a point about are actually telling the truth.

by
by
by
by
by
by