• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
godonholiday says

Hey, I was just wondering how people use themes with their clients.

I was recently asked to create a couple of sites for my friends businesses, I screenshot a couple of themes and showed them to the clients. I even chopped them up and changed some colors to show them what their site could look like. They chose one and then I bought the theme and customized it. It took me two weeks (Wordpress learning curve) and I charged £800.

Does anyone actually do this as a business model? and do you have any issues? Like can I actually say I will design the client a website if i’m using a theme? Are you more open?

or do you just use the themes for personal stuff?

Would really like some insight, Cheers

821 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Europe
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+2 more
wpbakery says
They chose one and then I bought the theme and customized it.

Hi godonholiday, where is your buyers badge? :)

322 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

@mixey – Good Call!

217 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
CreativeStable says
They chose one and then I bought the theme and customized it.

Hi godonholiday, where is your buyers badge? :)

probably has separate accounts in case he get’s any flack for this topic :P Personally, I really could care less if people are buying my template.. customizing it… and implementing it into a site and charging money… but I could see other author’s being against it. Might be a good idea to just ask first.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says
Hey, I was just wondering how people use themes with their clients.

I was recently asked to create a couple of sites for my friends businesses, I screenshot a couple of themes and showed them to the clients. I even chopped them up and changed some colors to show them what their site could look like. They chose one and then I bought the theme and customized it. It took me two weeks (Wordpress learning curve) and I charged £800.

Does anyone actually do this as a business model? and do you have any issues? Like can I actually say I will design the client a website if i’m using a theme? Are you more open?

When you purchase a template you have one license (per purchase) to use that template as you wish. That includes editing, completely redesigning, or whatever else if you want.

What you tell your clients is up to you but I would personally never take credit for someone else’s work. I know what it feels like when someone takes my work and takes credit for it, it sucks. Plus, you are lying to your client and that can come back to haunt you when you least expect it.

I tell my clients to either have a look around ThemeForest to find something they like or I find something for them to fit their needs. I make it clear to them that I am not the one that designed/coded the original template but I will be the one to customize it for them. It definitely makes it easier to help out those clients on a very limited budget that can’t afford to pay me to design and code something unique just for them.

322 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

Providing clients with a template that you got from here is completely within the guidlines. However I think it’s fair to ask about your buyer’s badge if you claiming to have purchased files.

39 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
simonk says

I usually tell them its a template; but, for most companies they don’t care as long as it looks good and can get it done faste.

164 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
tonyc says

You should make it clear for the buyer that you will be using a template. Apart from that everything is fine.

456 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
godonholiday says

Thanks for the response, I just want to clear a few things up…

I actually bought the templates from another site ..monster.com and paid a fare wack for them. Obviously TF has a better selection and what seems like a fair price. So thats why I am looking on here.

I bought them on a single license and then used them for the client.. a friends company.

I have never taken credit for the designs.. I just said I could develop their website.

I just wanted to see what people were using the themes for? Personal use or clients? and just wanted to know if you bought them for clients what did you say?

cheers for the responses :)

164 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
tonyc says

It’s not because you take the credit but the client can be frustrated to see similar design on another website without knowing that his website is based on a template.

by
by
by
by
by
by