• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Finland
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
Smuliii says

This is my second week in developing my first Wordpress theme and experiencing with it so my skills and knowledge are still very limited. Here is the theme I’m converting: http://demo.knarsku.com/insidesign/

Right now I’m creating those “headers” just above box rows but because I haven’t before even used Wordpress so I don’t know is this good way to handle it:

[header] [info] [headline]Why hire us[/headline] [subtitle]This is subtitle[/subtitle] [/info] [links] [button color="orange"]Get in touch[/button] [button color="blue"]Read More[/button] [/links] [/header]

Am I even on the right track?

1028 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
ThemeBlvd says

Sorry if this is obvious and maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re asking here… but shortcodes are something that you need to create in order to use them in pages and posts. So if you’re using a shortcode [header], for example, that means you that you created it somewhere in your theme in order to use it.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/02/02/mastering-wordpress-shortcodes/

Most likely you wouldn’t want to use shortcodes there because then you’re going to have to tell your user to (1) create a page, (2) put in all these shortcodes exactly how you have them and then (3) set that static page as their frontpage. I think this is kind of weird way to handle your theme’s homepage.

It might make more sense to make it a little more dynamic….

You could create a page template and have them set it as their homepage. You could create an options panel to edit different items on that page template.

Or you could could just have your default homepage (index.php) have HTML code structure of all those elements. And configure your theme options to allow them to dymanically put in the different elements.

You could take it a step further and make a couple of the areas “widgetized areas” or “sidebars”. For example, the row of boxes you’re referring to above could be a widgetized area of boxes that the user could drag any WordPress widget into from Appearance > Widgets.

FirestormGraphics
FirestormGraphics Recent Posts Threads Started
38 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
FirestormGraphics says

is this a theme your coding from scratch or are you modding a purchased theme?

259 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
MushinDesign says

is this a theme your coding from scratch or are you modding a purchased theme?

Thread is 5 months old, check out his portfolio he’s already converted it and has it up for sale :D

by
by
by
by
by
by