1179 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
mabuc says

I saw some pretty templates here that is not a valid HTML /XHTML, I used W3C to validate some of the templates and Im wondering why still accepted and labeled as Valid HTML “Yes”, I think TF should be strict on this. BTW Im just wondering.

2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

There are a few instances where I’ll personally accept a template if it isn’t valid CSS . Many people use some browser specific stylings in their themes – like:

-moz-border-radius: 25px;

A stylesheet won’t validate because of this line. But, I’ll still accept it.

Can you email me a link to one of the templates that doesn’t have valid HTML ? nettutsblog@gmail.com

Thanks

34 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Amanda says

I just wanted to mention here that Blogger templates (the XML based, widgetized style) are IMPOSSIBLE to create with valid XHTML /HTML. That is, the templates themselves may be valid, but when generated as an active blog (seen in the browser), the generated pages are invalid.

Believe me, I’m not just saying this because I design Blogger templates to sell here!

The reason is because Blogger generates extra code in the source which is formed server-side (not from the template code) and is invalid.

This extra code is generated to make all widgetized sections function, and can mostly be seen near the bottom of the source code for each generated page.

We have no control over this extra code, and even though most Blogger users would prefer to be able to create valid HTML in their blogs, it doesn’t seem that this issue will be remedied any time soon.

Classic Blogger templates (non-widgetized) can be made to have valid HTML when generated. However, Blogger is decreasing support for this type of template, and most Blogger users prefer the widgetized versions anyway.

I do hope this will not affect the Blogger templates which some of us design for Theme Forest!?

Jeffrey, please let me know if you need any more info about this in regard to Blogger.

171 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
clarklab says

^ The same thing happens when you embed widgets from flickr. My personal blog template is 100% valid but because of my flickr photos in the sidebar it throws tons of errors when you try to validate.

2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

That’s interesting to hear about Flickr. That’s why I rarely use the provided widgets. It’s always better to work with the API yourself.

Speaking of which; Does anyone want to write a quick tut for the blog that shows how to display your Flickr photos on a template (without using Flickr’s provided widget, of course.)? We’ll pay you $60.

Email me at sitemanager@themeforest.net if interested. PHP would probably be best – considering its popularity on this site.

68 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
rblalock says

my understanding of a valid XHTML /CSS is that the main, core code is standard.

If there are things like moz-border, -webkit..., etc. This doesn’t matter as it is just browser specific.

The main point that should be taken on this is that the structural code itself it correct.

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
shadow66142000 says

I would agree validating your templates is really important but as always there is exceptions to any rule. I get an error for not declaring the size of my textarea in forms with row/col using strict XHTML but made a conscious decision to have that done in the stylesheet. I think it makes it a bit easier for potential buyers to modify the template.

2541 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

@Shadow- Couldnt you just insert the rows and cols and leave them blank and then style with css :)

Or will this not validate under strict?

Regards, Drew

by
by
by
by
by
by