• Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

Just a note as per the first part of your comment, notice I say I would purchase, as it’d save me time for the sakes of $3. I’m not saying I would do it myself in that case, but when it comes to paying $45, that’s when I’d reconsider.

And regardless of whether I have a Mod badge or not, I do understand what an Extended License is. I’ve purchased several of them.

I’m just giving my opinion as a buyer and what it’d take to get me buying extended licenses on vectors. Of course as a buyer, naturally I’d want things cheaper, but please don’t go accusing me of piracy, I do actually prefer to spend money and support the community :)

I see you have good experience of being a buyer ;)

114 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
Teo_nikif says

I believe cidepix has a point. Though I do not create vectors to have a good estimate of the amount of time needed. But generally there is an underpricing issue in almost every category. If you take rendering mockups for example which have many functionalities and even additional views are often priced as simple static renders. I believe it would be a good start if authors could propose a price for their item giving several reasons!!!

1373 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

“The whole point of buying stock vectors (something that is more of a professional designer’s tool, unlike themes for example, which are a product built for non-designers/developers) is to save you time.”
Thats the point. And sometimes i buy items even i know it would be never sells. But i have to create the layout and show to the client. Its obvious there will be 2 of the 3 which will never be on air. So let say, you have to create 3 layouts by 2 different illustrations each. That 6 illustration and at the end only 2 will be accepted perhaps even those 2 illustration is needed at the end and not something else. All the professional photo-stock sites are give you the possibility to use their photo without watermark. I know vectors are different because you can easily take them apart change them etc. But indeed paying $20-30 for each illustration with that risk you might never use them on air only on your desk its a bit costly solution. So thats why i’m not agree with that you don’t think about how much you pay for those things. Off course you do.
28 posts
  • United Kingdom
cidepix says

I see you have good experience of being a buyer ;)

Oh, I am way more experienced in buying than you think.. ;) having a paw here doesn’t make you a better buyer than me.. remember envato is NOT the only place to buy..

I usually only buy photos for graphic design projects and this is not a place to buy for me, because photographers are paid only %33.. photodune community is heavily non-exclusive.. I prefer buying from sites which pay them %50 or more.. this is out of respect for image creators and myself as well..

I even use google to see if the artist has his/her own site, so that I can directly purchase from them to avoid paying the middle-man.. if they don’t have a site, then I prefer middle-men who pay them better..

obviously I don’t buy vectors because I can pretty much draw whatever I want..

and I don’t buy themes because I am good enough to edit a free wordpress theme into anything I want to transform..

3699 posts Community Moderator
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Community Moderator
  • United Kingdom
+4 more

Oh, I am way more experienced in buying than you think.. ;)

It’s a skilled craft.

2075 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+2 more
LanceSnider says

By the way, this survey is not the ONLY route we’re taking to solve this question. We’re sorting through heaps of data, talking to specific authors, talking to buyers, etc. Author opinion, which is mostly what we get in the forums, is just one important factor. :)

2 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
eustudio says

I am so reluctant to post vectors here that I haven’t post any yet :) Who am I to tell well known fact that “other sites” are pricing much higher?

Extremely cheap prices are only good for fighting piracy.

2077 posts
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says

I have filled out the survey, be really interested to se what the results are.

There are a lot of great files on here and will my work account I buy a lot of items, as before I came they used I stock a the files there were very expensive, so it is great to have a place where they are cheap, my bosses at work could not be live how cheap they were often 10 times.

Problem I have is the pricing consistency as the quality of files is often very diffent, it would be better to just not accept the poorer items rather that give them a low price

28 posts
  • United Kingdom
cidepix says

I agree and disagree with some of your points here. I believe that there are many vector items that are under priced, but that’s exactly why I purchased them in the first place

For example, there are many vector style icons on the site for $2 – $3 dollars that I purchase. I don’t believe these prices should be increased because many times the files come with 9 icons and I only really need 1… if the price was any higher then $5 I would just create my own icon and move on.
As I said earlier.. If you are only going to pay $2 to me, I’d rather you don’t buy it at all.. If the pricing is an issue, you should definitely create them yourself! :) You are actually not doing me a favor by buying it for $2-3, but rather killing my business..

I have them available on some other sites for $30.. I’d rather sell it on that agency where I get %50 of $30, than %33 of $2.. That’s just silly.. That is the reason only %15 of my portfolio is here.. and as things stand I am not happy to keep that %15 here as well.. The only reason I just don’t withdraw my vectors is the effort I spent uploading here, and this is the site with the worst upload procedure out of 18 sites that I am submitting.. So imagine the effort!

Also: You are actually not doing “you” a favor too, because if the prices were fairer, you would have more vectors offered here.. I am not asking for $30, but it should start from $9 and go upwards.. Trust me there aren’t many people who can just create them themselves.. I am pretty sure I will still sell like hot cakes because that is what I do in those $30 agencies as well.. My experience proves my point.. My vectors are just given away here..

Edit: I just looked at your portfolio and I actually purchased your zodiac signs vector… but I only needed the bull one. Perhaps you should think about taking some of your vector packs and turning them into logos, that way you could have a bit more extra cash flow. This is just a suggestion of course!

I am planing to actually withdraw all my vectors if the price is not increased significantly.. Yes, turning some of them into logos has been in my mind for a while now, but I need time to do that.. I will definitely stop giving them away for peanuts if I don’t like the new pricing though..

3699 posts Community Moderator
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Community Moderator
  • United Kingdom
+4 more

I don’t believe these prices should be increased because many times the files come with 9 icons and I only really need 1… if the price was any higher then $5 I would just create my own icon and move on.

I actually agree with this, it’s kinda what I’m trying to say with the decorative type elements, I’m only wanting to use the one small element, paying over $30 to do so (because there maybe several in the pack) is a little high. Maybe those vectors could be split into their own individual items cough new vector marketplace :P

by
by
by
by
by
by