• Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
henryhu says

Hi everybody, I just got the following item soft rejected:

The reviewer’s opinion is that

• 1.The gradients could use some additional work.
  • 2. clean up some of the vectors. For example there are many overlapping shapes that are the same and cause the file to be larger and run slower than necessary.

Could you guys please give me some advice? Like how should the gradient be changed, and what’s wrong with overlapping shapes? Thanks so much!

75 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
UnknownDepths says

henryhu,

Hmmm… Here’s what I see and think. It looks as if you were going for a semi-realistic shading technique using gradient mesh? For something that is semi-realistic looking The piece as a hole looks “flat;” as in not 2.5D or 3D enough.

What I think makes this look flat is a lack of shadows being cast from higher pedals and leaves onto lower ones. The pedals themselves seem to be casting shadows on other pedals, but not on the leaves below them. The leaves don’t seem to be casting shadows on leaves below them as well.

I think the reviewer’s eyes and mind were getting mixed up between whether or not the vector should look entirely 2.5D or 3D vs just looking 2D. Hence the “The gradients could use some additional work.” Certain pedals look 3D while most of the leaves look 2D (specifically those towards the top of the graphic).

Hopefully some of that helps.

- Nun Kwon

107 posts
+2 more
henryhu says

Thanks UnknownDepths! That’s really helpful. I’ll try playing with shadows to see if it works out. BTW do you have any idea what’s going on with overlapping shapes?

75 posts
+2 more
UnknownDepths says

henryhu,

Overlapping shapes are easy to create, but they can slow down the efficiency of the file. If you want to try minimizing the amount of shapes used you may want to try thinking about shapes in silhouettes. It’s a very different approach for many when it comes to art, but if you were to start off with a base color for not just a single rose pedal, but the entire area of the pedals, and then layer over your gradient mesh, it would reduce the file size tremendously. It’s a practice I use, but it can be difficult for some to cognate.

Give it a shot on your next vector work. This one seems too near completion for you to rework everything like that.

- Nun Kwon

107 posts
+2 more
henryhu says

Thank you so much Nun Kwon! It’s approved! :D

75 posts
+2 more
UnknownDepths says

henryhu,

Great! Now it’s time to see how well you will do with this particular item. I’ll wish you no luck because I’m sure you’ll create your own!

- Nun Kwon

by
by
by
by
by
by