844 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+3 more
chrisatlemon says

Hi all,

I’m looking for a set of icons that will print well at very small sizes, say at around so that 16×16 and 32×32 versions come out really nice in a 300dpi print.

Don’t mind if it’s GR or offsite. I would like to include it in some print design projects where I need icons that print well at regular print line height.

B&W is fine, I assume they would need to be glyph type.

Does anyone have any good experiences printing icons at small sizes?

Cheers

Chris

55 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Located in Australia
+3 more
cspcreative says

If you’re relying on pixels then a 32×32px icon will print at 2.7×2.7mm and a 16×16px at 1.35×1.35mm @300ppi without interpolating any pixels. That’s pretty small! If you want them to be any bigger than that then you’ll lose quality. If of course you’re relying on vector based files then that won’t be a problem. From an aesthetic point of view, if you want your icons to be printed small then go for simplicity, and don’t chose anything with fine line detail or colour complexity as it may disappear when printed at small sizes.

1742 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
gbs says

Chris I think you should look for vector-based glyph icon set with the less small details the better. And try not to print it too small, I think so.

79 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
bangingthemes says

I have an icon pack just now which is vector based, although it has been made for web it can be tailored for 300dpi print with a bit of modification. aim-mdma@hotmail.com if your interested

1373 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
dekurvajo says

Chris, i found some 16×16 and 32×32 icon pack around a month ago. As i remember it was 100% free, except redistribution. If you want to print them, here is my suggest: Keep them in gif, and resize them in Photoshop. Otherwise you will loose the sharp pixelation. Im not sure this is what you want, or something else, but i needed before a thing like this. pixelated icons but for print and not screen.

844 posts
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+3 more
chrisatlemon says

Many thanks for the tips all :)

I played around a bit and I realised that you can actually get quite good results if you use just glyph icons and most importantly when you resize them use the “direct selection tool” to nudge all corners at full zoom in PS so that there is no anti alias around the icon ( and also for Inner sections if needed).

Basically adjust each icon so that when you have the desired size you have as little anti alias as possible, just full colour and full transparency, no gradients or detail.

I got pretty decent print results with a couple of different glyph icon sets using the technique.

Cheers

Chris

1373 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
dekurvajo says

“no anti alias around the icon” – yeah.. thats the magic ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by