1363 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

I don’t see an issue with older files being at the top, as long as they are the best matches for the search being done. If I’m searching for an image “blue whale”, I don’t really care when the item was created, just want the best one for my project, and the best one might be the older one…

4358 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Loads of old outdated out of style files from 2009 and 2010.. its ok for them to be in tge search but why on top?!

+1

We can’t keep showing old files high up on search especially those that are a few years old… we understand sales count is a big factor in search result filtering, but there needs to be a time factor on search results so the results are more weighted..and it should work exponentially too. How else can you keep content relevant and competitive? We shouldn’t see 5 year old files on the first page of search results, otherwise those files will be extremely hard to compete with considering most people only really look at the first page. Time weighted results will phase out older files and keep content new and relevant.

Items with high sales have the popular pages for exposure… search results on the first few pages should be more geared towards showing new files within the last year to balance out the ecosystem.

1561 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

How is the ranking done? Is it weighted by title first then tags then item description? Also does item traffic come into play?

Did a search for real estate and the results seem kinda random.

1504 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

Search was ok now its again rubish because of bunch old files being on top with amateur looking style

8 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Developer
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
elseano Dev says

Hi all,

Thanks for spotting the issue with tag navigation. We recently migrated that page off the database and onto elasticsearch, and looks like its selecting “best match” as the default sorting which in this context probably doesn’t make a lot of sense. We’ll get this sorted today.

contemponic – I’m interested in how the results were random, they looked ok to me.

I can’t go into the specifics of how we rank items, but what I can tell you is that ranking is an ongoing effort, and no simple task! We use mathematical modelling for each change, and we’re very careful to limit the number of changes to the ranking algorithm to a maximum of 1 per week, although generally its much less. We test each change thoroughly in development and then get consensus from the team before moving it into the production environment.

Once a change is rolled out, we closely monitor it for at least a week using a variety of metrics to measure whether to keep the change or not – it takes that long for the numbers to become meaningful. For example, if sales are down even by a small percentage at the end of the week, the change is rolled back immediately.

1504 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

Ok I just hope you will not make the search to function as “AND” between the search words….

201 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • New Zealand
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
madlep Dev says

They changed the search again…. http://videohive.net/tags/creative

now it gives bunch of old legacy items on top….

It was fixed and ok but now It gives weird old “best match” items… I realy doubt it.

EDIT: maybe not… I just don’t know anymore, the result for searches are so random I dont understand what the results are based on. Sales are still absent.

Yup. That’s a known bug with the /tags browsing pages – which are just search pages filtered to items that match that tag. I’ve got it fixed in a development branch, but it’s not deployed yet.

The problem is that the old version did a sort by relevancy while filtering the results to only items that match a tag. The bug with the new one is that it just does the filtering, but doesn’t pass in any search term to figure out relevancy scoring – so all items get the same score, and yes, they are effectively randomly sorted.

There is a very similar change going in in the next day or two to move attribute browsing from sphinx to elasticsearch. The fix will be deployed at the same time as that change goes in.

1686 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
+1 more
Creattive says

Ok I just hope you will not make the search to function as “AND” between the search words….

huh, wasn’t it all about making it an AND-search?

449 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
Final_Step says

Hey madlep, keep us updated, we are curious! :D
So what are the parameters the search will be based on?
Thank you for the efforts you are doing to improve the search!

1363 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
WebSmacker says

I highly disagree – in Google a space between words acts as an “OR” unless you put a plus sign in front of each word.

Blue Bunny Jumping should be the same as Blue OR Bunny OR Jumping
+Blue +Bunny +Jumping should be the same as Blue AND Bunny AND Jumping

by
by
by
by
by
by