• Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

They seem to have stabilised across the board now though.

hope they don’t stabilize on the bottom of the barrel.

I’m waiting to see how this week turns out

5024 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

There’s some weird stuff going on. My sales in general have been kind of average for February, but the month started well and the last week has been poor.

I’ve also had a strange phenomenon – a file of mine called Wallpaper that has sold only 60 times since it was upload 4 years or so ago sold 4 times last week. I know that this is not beyond the realms of statistical probability… maybe someone tweeted it… but since the search changes, it has had a twelve-fold increase in rate of sales. I wonder if for some reason it’s getting boosted up the search results. It’s very old and a low seller. Did something else change?

1601 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

Well… felt_tips, madlep told that the search now is more friendly with old items…. I will explain it shortly, just lets make a quick test…

Lets say we search for a ‘cinema title’: http://videohive.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=cinema+title

And lets have a look at the results…. ohhhh we see a FILE AT THE TOP!!! IT MUST BE KILLER!!! a file from the 2010 which looks like crap from author who never came back again after posting this one single KILLER item which gained UP TO 7 SALES!!!!!!! It’s a shame that the author did not expect that file to be the most MATCHED FILE in ALLLL the “Cinema Titles” of video hive in 2014!!!!

SO MUCH WoW!. good job search team! Now the search is so much better.

449 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
Final_Step says

Well… felt_tips, madlep told that the search now is more friendly with old items…. I will explain it shortly, just lets make a quick test…

Lets say we search for a ‘cinema title’: http://videohive.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=cinema+title

And lets have a look at the results…. ohhhh we see a FILE AT THE TOP!!! IT MUST BE KILLER!!! a file from the 2010 which looks like crap from author who never came back again after posting this one single KILLER item which gained UP TO 7 SALES!!!!!!! It’s a shame that the author did not expect that file to be the most MATCHED FILE in ALLLL the “Cinema Titles” of video hive in 2014!!!!

Hahahaha, you really made me laugh… It is a really serious business, this search stuff.. Change something and we are all screwed up… I don’t know how to measure losses or anything like this, since I have uploaded a new file it sort of covered up the month, but I believe I could have had far more sales… Anyway, I don’t know, there is a file I could have uploaded 2 weeks ago and I just wait for this little crisis to pass….

5172 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

I’m sure the Search team appreciates the feedback, but you’re going to have to keep it civil. The Search team has been very open that they’ve been making changes and adjustments and have been extremely active on keeping everyone informed in this thread. Attacking them and making them feel unwelcome is definitely not the way you want to go with this. Thanks!

• Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

Ohh KingDog sorry , I am sure they are on to something but it’s not yet deployed. Sorry , no attacks intended, Just being sarcastic!

But when after the search changes all of it suddenly starts to change into a bad direction I can’t help myself but be a sarcastic in this topic.

The sales at this period of time should increase not decrease.

• Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

Come on ! :)) I am not being harsh. I could’t hurt a fly. I am just a bit trolling and being sarcastic and being angry, all at the same time :))) King Dog changed his mind and deleted the post .. well .. :bashfulcute:

I am really happy that the search team is investing time into this search but many many authors already complained about it many many years ago. And since the big dip in the sales and researching the marketplaces search i am pretty sure that many authors complain are because of the search.

You see the biggest problem would be if buyers would start using some external searches like google, or just go somewhere where is search filters, well search filtering wouldn’t do much for videohive but for themeforest it would do really much. Currently I am searching for a wordpress template for my website for local business and I just can’t find one and it’s all because of the search limits.

• Search
  • Video rollovers
  • Cart

Is all we need.

When I put myself into a buyers position i understand how important those things are….

I caught myself skipping all the items which was not showing all needed info on the image-preview… Cause there is so many of the items and I want to check all of them… Buyer simply cannot take time to actually preview all the wordpress demo live views… or all the given animations on VH,

236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • New Zealand
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
madlep Dev says

That’s GREAT and totaly NOT sarcastic feedback. I’ll just write it up on my INVISIBLE TYPEwriter… and make sure the rest of the team READS IT CAREFULLY ;)

In all seriousness though, yes, I have to agree that the results on videohive and audiojungle in particular need some work. They’re harder to index and search on as there is less text data to go on than with things like themes/plugins that are rich in text by their nature. There are a few things that we’re thinking about though.

An issue we’re seeing is that boosts on sales aren’t being applied as strongly on items in searches with lower relative sales. The boosts are currently applied globally based on items with very high sales (10,000s like you get on themeforest) – that doesn’t work so well in smaller niches where you have 10s-100s of sales. Hopefully we’ll be looking at that soon.

Items also need more of a boost for recency. Agreed that an item with recent sales from 2014 should get a boost over an item from 2010 with a few sales.

PS – we’re listening to everything on the forum, and working on all this stuff. Keep it civil, and we’ll keep talking about it :)

5172 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

Sorry I deleted my post because I thought the Devs may take exception to me calling them sweet little birds :D

236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • New Zealand
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
madlep Dev says

Sorry I deleted my post because I thought the Devs may take exception to me calling them sweet little birds :D

We’re been called worse ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by