301 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
sightsignal says

@madlep

I was just trying out the search and I have a quick question: If I search for “loop” right now I’ll get some Valentine’s hearts items close to the top. Imagine I want to filter out the word “hearts” from this search with a handy google-style “loop -hearts”... is something like this possible in the future?

1501 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
WebSmacker says

^ +1

1666 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
cyzer says

@madlep I was just trying out the search and I have a quick question: If I search for “loop” right now I’ll get some Valentine’s hearts items close to the top. Imagine I want to filter out the word “hearts” from this search with a handy google-style “loop -hearts”... is something like this possible in the future?

I am user of computing and internet for about 15 years. And I dont know any of those commands which are for search filtering. So I think buyer should not be required to know them to find something.

And would be nice if there would be a tutorial on how to use marketplaces and the search. New buyers are confused sometime. I did bring one of my friends here to look around and he was stunned by so many things and didnt know where to start looking. First question from him was : ” is there a tutorial video or some pop out notices on how to use marketplace ?” Well i thought what a great idea ! And said : “nope”

301 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
sightsignal says

I am user of computing and internet for about 15 years. And I dont know any of those commands which are for search filtering. So I think buyer should not be required to know them to find something. (...)

I agree, buyers shouldn’t be required to know this just because Google uses it… but if envato’s search supported this, then it would be a matter of making users aware that they could use the minus(-) to filter their searches. Having in mind I don’t know anything about coding, this seemed so simple I just had to ask the devs. But I realize it’s not a pretty solution.

Hey, it’s 3am so here’s a day dream:

The search input area up there becomes a button… when pressed it relocates users to a Search Central with a form/options relevant to the marketplace in question. Below the search form there are cool items of the marketplace being showcased. Among the many search options, one can see input fields for “Include Words” and “Exclude Words”. Everyone’s happy. :)

1666 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
+8 more
cyzer says

I am user of computing and internet for about 15 years. And I dont know any of those commands which are for search filtering. So I think buyer should not be required to know them to find something. (...)

I agree, buyers shouldn’t be required to know this just because Google uses it… but if envato’s search supported this, then it would be a matter of making users aware that they could use the minus(-) to filter their searches. Having in mind I don’t know anything about coding, this seemed so simple I just had to ask the devs. But I realize it’s not a pretty solution.

Hey, it’s 3am so here’s a day dream:

The search input area up there becomes a button… when pressed it relocates users to a Search Central with a form/options relevant to the marketplace in question. Below the search form there are cool items of the marketplace being showcased. Among the many search options, one can see input fields for “Include Words” and “Exclude Words”. Everyone’s happy. :)

Anything that is external is the enemy of marketplaces. We cant let the buyer out especially we cant demand the client to go somewhere else to find something which is somewhere else…. The search has to be all based in same page same tab.

5220 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Another sale today for my ancient, low-selling item. That makes about 7 in a week. It kind of matches Cyzer’s example of a Best Match for the search “Cinema Titles” being a 7 sales, ancient item at the top of the listings.

I do think that authors have a right to be a little angry about this. I have just uploaded an item that I’m very proud of. My first item in 8 months or so. It represents three weeks of work and so far it has sold twice. That would indicate to me that over its life it will never come anywhere near to covering its time costs.

Perhaps it wouldn’t have scored highly anyway, but since it was released in a week where one of my lowest selling items suddenly transformed into a top selling item, I have to ask myself the question whether the search problems this week have contributed to its flop.

Whichever way, what has become abundantly clear is how much of a role the search algorithms play in the success or failure of my items. A little tweak, and suddenly everyone is finding my long forgotten file, liking it and buying it.

I do appreciate the work that you devs put in, but it nevertheless surprises me that the recognition that a sales figure algorithm that works for Theme Forest might not work so well for Videohive, Audiojungle or 3D Ocean, and I can’t help but wish there were some way to test these things without testing them live.

At the end of the day, the livelihoods of thousands of people are dependent on these search algorithms.

183 posts
  • Located in Brazil
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
DiegoMirnov says

I didn´t like the new search engine. I was testing and now there are lots of files mixed up. For instance, there are some authors that put more than 3 or 4 words between commas, making these files appear in places where it shouldn´t be. Other awful point: there are projects that don´t have that specific tag and appear in a list messing the correct project tags. Wanna try? Put “race”, and you´ll see the mess. This can make the sales go down.

5220 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

I didn´t like the new search engine. I was testing and now there are lots of files mixed up. For instance, there are some authors that put more than 3 or 4 words between commas, making these files appear in places where it shouldn´t be. Other awful point: there are projects that don´t have that specific tag and appear in a list messing the correct project tags. Wanna try? Put “race”, and you´ll see the mess. This can make the sales go down.

I’ll cross post here too! :-)

In that specific example, my file Light Bulb comes up 15th in the listings if I search on “race” and then order by sales. The file has nothing to do with racing. It does however have the phrase “the light bulb races towards the camera” in the description.

In this specific example, the problem is that there’s no way of cross-referencing good results for the tem “race” with sales. As soon as I sort by sales, any other relevance sorting goes out of the window. Then I have to scour through hundreds or thousands of results in a random manner (note: still with no video rollovers on Videohive, which after all these years never ceases to astonish me) Refining the search before sorting by sales helps of course, but without being able to decide where I search for my search terms – i.e. in keywords, descriptions or titles – it’s also of limited use.

This thing goes much deeper than the “Best Match” algorithm. It’s all about giving the user some control. The search can only be as clever as the categorisation system, the keywords, titles and descriptions. 15 keywords are a joke to describe all the visual complexity, mood and style of a piece of design.

Going forwards, the success of stock market places is going to be based on the user’s ability to find what they want quickly. I’m glad that so much thought is being put into it, and I understand that it’s a complex area, but as long as the automagic search is not very clever, I’d much rather see the user given some manual control at the expense of a little visual clutter.

183 posts
  • Located in Brazil
+6 more
DiegoMirnov says

I’ll cross post here too! :-)

In that specific example, my file Light Bulb comes up 15th in the listings if I search on “race” and then order by sales. The file has nothing to do with racing. It does however have the phrase “the light bulb races towards the camera” in the description.

In this specific example, the problem is that there’s no way of cross-referencing good results for the tem “race” with sales. As soon as I sort by sales, any other relevance sorting goes out of the window. Then I have to scour through hundreds or thousands of results in a random manner (note: still with no video rollovers on Videohive, which after all these years never ceases to astonish me) Refining the search before sorting by sales helps of course, but without being able to decide where I search for my search terms – i.e. in keywords, descriptions or titles – it’s also of limited use.

This thing goes much deeper than the “Best Match” algorithm. It’s all about giving the user some control. The search can only be as clever as the categorisation system, the keywords, titles and descriptions. 15 keywords are a joke to describe all the visual complexity, mood and style of a piece of design.

Going forwards, the success of stock market places is going to be based on the user’s ability to find what they want quickly. I’m glad that so much thought is being put into it, and I understand that it’s a complex area, but as long as the automagic search is not very clever, I’d much rather see the user given some manual control at the expense of a little visual clutter.

Thank you Felt Tips! What went wrong with me: I have a project I´ve put on videohive in march 2013, and since then it sells 20~25 times per month. After the new search engine, no more sales. On Videohive, If you put “race” and sort by sales, the first project on the list doesn´t mention the word “race”.It´s awful, and like Felt Tips said: “At the end of the day, the livelihoods of thousands of people are dependent on these search algorithms”.

183 posts
  • Located in Brazil
+6 more
DiegoMirnov says

don’t know what changes had been made to the search but sales had stopped again :(

yesterday was just fine.

preferable roll back to how it was yesterday, lock up and then throw the key to the server room

+1.

by
by
by
by
by
by