550 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • United States
+11 more
theMOLITOR says

I’ve received a lot of questions from buyers on how to slice my PSDs. I tried explaining to them that slicing is old school, but it’s difficult to explain why. I decided to make a video tutorial and thought I would share it with y’all buyers and authors.

http://tinyurl.com/2a4jalz

2952 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

Good tips right there

4268 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Venezuela
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says

Good one Chris thanks :)

550 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • United States
+11 more
theMOLITOR says

Thanks guys ;-)

456 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
godonholiday says

The video doesnt play for me, sure it will sort itself out. Thanks for the hard work! I’ll add it to my collection of bookmarks

831 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
tigerlabs says

Nice stuff Chris. :)

63 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
IWDstudios says

I have to disagree with this style of getting your images from the psd. As a buyer and developer of themes. I have found that it sure is nice when there are slices because that means I do not have to go through all the steps that you just described in this video to remake the images.

I like slices and the reason for that is that once you do it, they are always there. If I go back later to touch up or make the theme better, those slices are still there. I think it makes for easy customization of the images once your theme has sold.

I also believe that making the slices would cut down on the amount of emails that you get from your customers. Like you said chris, you had to make a video just to show your customers the “New and better way” to make slices. It does not look faster to me either. That is not to say that it isn’t faster, but I think I will stick with slices for the biggest reason that once I make them, I will be able to benefit from them every time I open up that psd

2212 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
+4 more
crozer says
I have to disagree with this style of getting your images from the psd. As a buyer and developer of themes. I have found that it sure is nice when there are slices because that means I do not have to go through all the steps that you just described in this video to remake the images.

I like slices and the reason for that is that once you do it, they are always there. If I go back later to touch up or make the theme better, those slices are still there. I think it makes for easy customization of the images once your theme has sold.

I also believe that making the slices would cut down on the amount of emails that you get from your customers. Like you said chris, you had to make a video just to show your customers the “New and better way” to make slices. It does not look faster to me either. That is not to say that it isn’t faster, but I think I will stick with slices for the biggest reason that once I make them, I will be able to benefit from them every time I open up that psd

Good point, although I also disagree with you. Once you’ve saved and organized all your images individually, they are also ‘there’ – as you’ve stated. They do not move, and you can easily customize them.

Additionally, whenever you whish to ‘redesign’ a sliced theme, you will unconsciously limit yourself to those slices (guides), instead of redisigning much more (i.e. wrap, content-page, sidebars, etc… the overall layout). Hence, without slices, your horizon is much wider as to what can be customized with ease.

Chris ;)

550 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • United States
+11 more
theMOLITOR says

Trust me, slicing takes a lot more time (especially if you factor in the time it takes to make the slices). I appreciate your feedback though.

63 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
IWDstudios says

that is a good point, but those slices can easily be re sliced. Most customers don’t have the skills to modify a jpg, or a png. They need the image with all the layers. I think my main point is that by making slices, you can cut down on the amount of support requests you receive from your customers

by
by
by
by
by
by