510 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
pxt says

I’ve been using Vim recently and need some advice on using it as an IDE for PHP

I’m looking for ways for Vim to autocomplete, show documentation (man pages) for built in functions and my own, etc. Jeffrey has something roughly similar to what I’m after which can be seen in this tutorial on NetTuts+ http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/create-your-first-tiny-mvc-boilerplate-with-php/

Thanks in advance!

PS – Vim is amazing – well worth learning! :)

3047 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

eek!

I’m not sure vim is efficient as an IDE . Everyone I’ve worked with on real-world projects who loves vim is soooo slow, and has access to so many less IDE features to those using desktop IDE ’s (eclipse, phpstorm, etc..)

Maybe something could be botched together to get basic autocomplete / syntax checking / refactoring in vim, but my opinion is to leave vim in the terminal for quick server side changes (because it is very quick and easy to use) and leave a powerful desktop IDE for day to day use.

good luck! feel free to post anything you do find for others to try.

510 posts
+4 more
pxt says

eek!

I’m not sure vim is efficient as an IDE . Everyone I’ve worked with on real-world projects who loves vim is soooo slow has access to so many less IDE features to those using desktop IDE ’s (eclipse, phpstorm, etc..)

Maybe something could be botched together to get basic autocomplete / syntax checking / refactoring in vim, but my opinion is to leave vim in the terminal for quick server side changes (because it is very quick and easy to use) and leave a powerful desktop IDE for day to day use.

good luck! feel free to post anything you do find for others to try.

I see what you mean here and at the moment I am using both Netbeans and VIM and am trying to decide between the two. Both have their huge advantages. A perfect scenario would be a “PHP IDE ” plugin for VIM , but I don’t think one exists.

510 posts
+4 more
pxt says

This seems like an interesting read for anyone interested in Vim & PHP : http://www.koch.ro/blog/index.php?/archives/63-VIM-an-a-PHP-IDE.html

I’m going through it now.

by
by
by
by
by
by