980 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

I know, I am a Windows fanatic, so:

if I buy a virtual private server (VPS), I will have to know Linux/Ubuntu, stuff like this – to be able to manage it (transfer files, configure settings, etc)?

3220 posts
    Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in United States Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

It depends on what VPS you go with, you can buy a managed VPS (costs more) but then you want have to deal with that. Some VPS/Cloud hosting you pretty much do everything

260 posts
    Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
BizLogic says

You can lease a Windows VPS, but it is normally more expensive than a *nix based version.

980 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

So a Windows VPS exists too :) thanks that’s what I needed to know :)

260 posts
BizLogic says
44 posts
    Located in Belgium Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
rakinjakk says

When you have a control panel installed like cPanel or Plesk I don’t see any need for linux knowledge.

7 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in Europe
+2 more
crivion says

i can assist you with a vps setup for your needs (web server/file server/whatever) for a fee.

260 posts
BizLogic says

When you have a control panel installed like cPanel or Plesk I don’t see any need for linux knowledge.
I prefer Plesk, but you still need *nix knowledge if you need to make ‘advanced’ changes to the system.
For example, installing packages from repos, installing FFmpeg, upgrading PHP, etc.
by
by
by
by
by
by