255 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
BuchmannDesign says

I have a new theme almost ready to be released, but I just heard about the new commission rates. I could make about $3 more per sale with the new rate.

Is anyone thinking of waiting until the rate change before submitting a new theme, since new themes do tend to have better sales at first.

Thanks for the advice!

1012 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
wizylabs says

I’d say wait, its 5 days left anyway

3262 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+1 more
organicbee says
I’d say wait, its 5 days left anyway

35 days

The full rates table, effective 11:59pm September 30th 2010 (Melbourne AEST time):
255 posts
+4 more
BuchmannDesign says

Food for thought… maybe if most are waiting, then new themes in the coming month will get more attention since there will be fewer of them.

And when the rates go into effect there will be a TON of new themes hitting the site, thus possibly less time on the front page.

Thoughts?

562 posts You Reap What You Saw
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Bluz says
Food for thought… maybe if most are waiting, then new themes in the coming month will get more attention since there will be fewer of them.

And when the rates go into effect there will be a TON of new themes hitting the site, thus possibly less time on the front page.

Thoughts?

I also have a theme that’s almost done still i’m not sure what i’ll do but i’m tending towards releaseing before the new rate – its 35 days man.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

I’d just release it and get to work on another theme! ;)

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

haha you guys all think about this too much. +1 on what jarel said…

284 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Shellbot says

Yeah I’m nearly ready to upload my first TF theme, no way I’m waiting to upload that. Apart from anything else, I need the money :p

Plenty of time to make a second one before the rate hike anyway, and as you said it’ll likely be mad the first week or so and get less front page exposure anyway.

469 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
SaurabhSharma says

Okay, there are two things. First, you wait 35 days and then release your theme, and say, you got $400 + $100 extra on your sales (if sold average). Second, if you release it right now, you will get $400 (average case) before the new rates to have in effect.

So, what I am trying to say is – If you waste your 35 days, you will get nothing. But if you release it right now, you will get the return of these 35 days. PLUS , upcoming days will bring new revenue with new rates. There is only one drawback in releasing right now – May be you will not get that much exposure for your theme later on if you release it right now. After 35 days, your theme will fall on 2nd or 3rd page. But meanwhile, you can prepare another good item for new rates.

As Jarel said, keep working and keep going. IMO , too much calculation is fateful. Recently, I saw such calculations in conjunctions with Birthday Bundle. Authors were pulling off their items. What’s the point in doing so? What would you do if your newly released item get sandwiched between two items by plutonium paw authors? :P.

960 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

Best Advice :-)

Honestly mate, I just looked at your portfolio and you’ve got no problems with sales, you could get maybe 14-15 days worth of sales in before it kicks in, plus if it’s got some sales behind it already that sometimes boosts sales – it’s amazing that people just buy stuff cos it has alot of sales lol.

Good luck though. I’m not deliberately waiting, I just haven’t done anything just yet lol.

by
by
by
by
by
by