20 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years

Pretty frustrated right now and looking for a theme recommendation. I strongly disagree with the direction new themes are going. Burying basic HTML structure and spreading it across dozens of function files that are multiple directories deep is absurd.

I am looking for a quality theme that still utilizes template files the way they used to be used. To house the basic HTML structure, and only utilize more complex functions for more complex purposes.

Changing a simple DIV in single.php should be a 5 second process of editing single.php. Not an hour of finding where the function for theme_content_after () might be hidden.

Any suggestions? There must be some modern, quality themes that have been developed with this common sense approach still in tact.

If not, and if you are a developer, contact me, cause I have a can’t miss business proposition for you.

3120 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says

Burying basic HTML structure and spreading it across dozens of function files that are multiple directories deep is absurd.

thats actually proper practice for WordPress Development so its not that absurd and most of those theme_content_after functions have hooks, filters or actions to modify them(another practice based on WordPress)

if your uncomfortable modify themes that are coded properly you may want to just purchase html themes

also most IDE ’s have a global search so it takes like 20 seconds heres one and oh its free http://aptana.com/

20 posts

Up until about a year ago, every theme I ever encountered – including themes here on Themeforest – kept the basic HTML structure in the template files.

Wordpress even has a built in editor… anyone remember that?... where you were supposed to be able to edit these template files easily.

When exactly did this so called proper practice change? When did template files become nothing more than shells for functions buried deep in directory structures? And when did an IDE become necessary to make simple HTML edits to wordpress themes?

20 posts

Let me illustrate so no one loses sense of what is being talked about here…

In the past, in order to add a DIV to single.php I would simply open up single.php (using Wordpress’ editor even) and type in the div: div id=”absurd”

16 characters. A few seconds of typing. Done. Couldn’t be easier.

Now, to add that same div to one of these new themes I first have to identify the right function in single.php – these functions are always different from theme to theme – and then I have to start plowing through php files buried in directories – again, always different from theme to theme – to find that function and then interpret how it works and add in some code that outputs the desired DIV

div id=”absurd”

All of that to add 16 characters to single.php. Who exactly does that benefit? Developers? It certainly doesn’t benefit the people who use these themes.

Regardless, if there are any modern, quality themes that utilize this old, apparently no longer proper, but certainly more user friendly and common sense based approach… please let me know. I’ll pay extra for it.

613 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Austria
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
Kriesi says

Its actually quite simple: In order to offer to our customers all the function they are now used to (Shortcodes, Template Builder/Content Composer, etc) if you dont want to loose your mind as developer you have to code that way.

I simply cant put all the code necessary for the single.php file into the single.php file without includes, because the loop that is used there is needed in 5 different locations of the theme. If I want to add a DIV with id=absurd to the loop itself I would need to change 5 files.

I would need to do that for every change to every loop that is used within the theme and I can guarantee that at some point I would forget a div here or there, which makes the theme much more prone to bugs.

So its mainly a question of maintainability, but it also heavily reduces development speed. when I started building wordpress themes (exactly the way you described) it took my several days to get the html part of a theme done. Now the html is usually ready within an hour or two…

This means I have more time for new themes, support, feature requests and bugfixes.

Hope this somewhat explains why WordPress as a whole moves that way :)

by
by
by
by
by
by