205 posts
  • Albania
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
BlinVarfi says

I have a suggestion. How about envato create a watermark for files preview, at least for logo marketplace. A watermark like those used on DeviantART (i think everybody knows those). It would be a good way to prevent coping of our logos don’t you think?

469 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
LuisFaus says

You mean thumbnail preview ( on mouse over) Watermark??

505 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Estonia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
kriskorn says

I have a suggestion. How about envato create a watermark for files preview, at least for logo marketplace. A watermark like those used on DeviantART (i think everybody knows those). It would be a good way to prevent coping of our logos don’t you think?

There is already a watermark on the preview files. Look closely!

205 posts
  • Albania
  • Exclusive Author
BlinVarfi says

I know that there are some lines already on the preview image but are not strong enough to protect the work, for example somebody with basic skills can remove them and take theft the logo. The resolution he gets would be low ,but he can use it in websites at least, not for prints. So i am talking about adding something big as this in deviant art, look at how my logo is there with the watermark: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/011/9/8/info_talk_logo_template_by_blinvarfi-d5mmhey.png there is no way somebody can copy that!

469 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
LuisFaus says

I know that there are some lines already on the preview image but are not strong enough to protect the work, for example somebody with basic skills can remove them and take theft the logo. The resolution he gets would be low ,but he can use it in websites at least, not for prints. So i am talking about adding something big as this in deviant art, look at how my logo is there with the watermark: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/011/9/8/info_talk_logo_template_by_blinvarfi-d5mmhey.png there is no way somebody can copy that!

It really doesn’t matter how strong the watermark is, any medium guy with some basic knowledge knows immediately how is made or will re-outline it from scratch. Its common to see even in known websites images with partial Istockphoto watermarks because the “heal tool” & “clone” of photoshop. And does not matter either if one tries to block the right-click “save as” for images as there is plenty of browser tools to take snapshots or just the simple “print screen” in windows. The only method left is lawyer up when this has already happened.

1716 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
gbs says

We should protect ourselves first, rather than waiting for a new watermark from Envato (which I don’t think would happen anytime soon) :) Create our own watermark to protect parts of the preview image that the Envato watermark does not cover. Display the item smartly to limit the chance of stealing :)

108 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
wallfish says

Sweetheart, welcome to 2013. Today a water mark holds nothing. It only means that when you share a design with your client, you advertise your site. Other than that a watermark holds no bars if a designer wants to copy design. In fact a designer with average skills can recreate an exact design without even tracing it. And can also easily re-cover marked areas. Don’t rely on watermarks.

The only way to save your work is to copyright them before you publish them. In fact you don’t even need a watermark these days. Just look at Behance, Dribble or any other creative content sharing website.

63 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
AgentVIP says

The only way to save your work is to copyright them before you publish them. In fact you don’t even need a watermark these days. Just look at Behance, Dribble or any other creative content sharing website.

Anything you create is protected under various copyright laws (except things such as ideas/concepts, titles, names, slogans…), including any designs that are submitted to the marketplaces. Yes, you could register them with the copyright office, but essentially any intellectual property submitted to the marketplaces is covered.

The point of a watermark is not to STOP people from stealing it unlawfully, but rather to DETER them from stealing it. It’s essentially balanced between the effort taken to remove the watermark, and how much the item/license can be bought for: obviously whichever is the most appealing will determine the outcome.

Like some have said, feel free to put an additional watermark over your logos that you submit, but I can guarantee that it will do more harm than good. People who want to steal it, will continue to do so (as they just recreate it). People who may have wanted to buy it, may be deterred by the ugly watermark (making it less attractive).

205 posts
  • Albania
  • Exclusive Author
BlinVarfi says

You’re absolutely right guys! What should i do when somebody copied my work thought?

412 posts
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
mitdralla says

You’re absolutely right guys! What should i do when somebody copied my work thought?

Thats is a tough one. Once you figure out that grey line if something was copied on purpose there are actions that can be taken – example Envato Support, DMCA.

If it is a matter of another author creating something similar, not on purpose, you might just need to understand that there is a possibility items get created that are similar, and move on.

Just today I saw an item get approved, which is similar in idea to one of my files which has been in the queue for 5 days. Both of our items were together in the queue at some point. They just beat me to it by a little. Every sale that user gets, I am like darn, that could be mine.

But what can I do? Keep creating quality unique files.

hope this helps.

by
by
by
by
by
by