111 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
wallfish says

You’re absolutely right guys! What should i do when somebody copied my work thought?

Once you create a design its automatically a copyright of your own. As it may get tricky in case of disputes so you may want to reach out to copyright companies to register it. I’m not a lawyer and blah… but you may want to get in touch with these external services who provides services registering your material.

There are couple of free international online services like MyOws (use google) and etc. where you can upload your work to prove your creation date and all but I don’t know how much will it hold back when you are in real need of proving your files are authentic. In face I don’t even know whether these online free services are reliable or not. Personally I have never come across such a dispute. A lawyer would be my best bet on this case. As Envato cannot protect you outside the marketplace eg. a flyer design flying around your own town.

Hope that made some point :) Good luck mate!

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

You’re absolutely right guys! What should i do when somebody copied my work thought?
create more. it means there is a demand for your work.
412 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
mitdralla says

create more. it means there is a demand for your work.

I agree. I remember back in the day when digital copyright wasnt “as big” as it is today. I found a website that was copied exactly as one I just published a few weeks prior. Including the author comments and all in my code – I took it as a form of flattery and continued to do my thing. create create create.

1731 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
gbs says

Like some have said, feel free to put an additional watermark over your logos that you submit, but I can guarantee that it will do more harm than good. People who want to steal it, will continue to do so (as they just recreate it). People who may have wanted to buy it, may be deterred by the ugly watermark (making it less attractive).

That’s why I said do it smartly. Of course people should see the design itself rather than all the fishnet, but does not allow them too many spaces to think “Hey try a bit of live tracing here and let’s get it for free. Sounds fun LOL”. It depends on the specific item you are selling. For example with icons, I think that most of them should come with additional watermarks.

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

gbs, big dogs like Getty, Corbis, they give the pictures without any watermarks, just as the professional stock music/sound design files are also downloadable without disturbing beeps, voices. Why? Because they know if they would put those annoying things over there, art directors, designers, and all the pros would prefer another sources because they have no time and nerves to do smudge work. So its simple, professionals will pay because they dont want to take the risk and because they just simply professionals. This kind of source like Envato and many others, a bit different story. There was a huge demand for the middle level, or “doesntmatter” class stock. Look, its not a big deal to download an item for few bucks, then sell over again. The watermark is against the mass girafism and not and not against John Shilling Doe, if you know what i mean. Thats why we are not aloud to include the preview file into the upload.

1731 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
gbs says

This kind of source like Envato and many others, a bit different story. There was a huge demand for the middle level, or “doesntmatter” class stock. Look, its not a big deal to download an item for few bucks, then sell over again. The watermark is against the mass girafism and not and not against John Shilling Doe, if you know what i mean. Thats why we are not aloud to include the preview file into the upload.

I understand what you mean. I know, up to another level, there should be no need of any watermark, and people always pay for what they want because they’re professional. But, as you stated about “different story”, so I guess there should be different suggestions/ recommendations for such story to protect your works. It’s not recommended all the time, but in specific cases, specific environments, it’s necessary.

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

Absolutely. Thats why we were pissed off on this summer, because that animal’s neck grew long and fat. And we were expecting some “background” job.

209 posts
  • Albania
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
BlinVarfi says

Thank you all guys! Really helpful :)

by
by
by
by