4 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
ichiban says

Hey Everyone

After years of fiddling around in Photoshop cropping and maintaining images and then more years developing a semi-automated cropping / resizing system in PHP, I finally started developing a service that I could use on all my client websites. It’s worked really well and has streamlined my process of working with images. Especially when image size changes are required. It’s so simple now.

I’m now offering this up as a web service and would like to open this up to beta testers. I know there are lots of great designers and developers hanging out in Envato so I’m hoping that this will fill a need for you.

Anyway here’s a little bit about the service: We Crop It

Let me know if you’re interested and we’ll get moving!

Thanks _ matt

339 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • United States
kevinhamil says

That looks pretty sweet. Wish you the best with it!

4 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
ichiban says

@kevinhamil Thanks dude!

767 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
outandouter says

Oh, this is lovely.

I can see a lot of use out of this.

Thanks a lot for sharing. Bookmarked!

80 posts
urbanray says

So will the images be hosted at your server?

4 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
ichiban says

@urbanray Yes the edited versions will be served from wecrop.it. It would be possible to write a script to cache the image on your server though.

80 posts
urbanray says

@urbanray Yes the edited versions will be served from wecrop.it. It would be possible to write a script to cache the image on your server though.

And how you plan to meet the server costs etc and what happens if for some reason you decide to shut it down? (I think its a nice service but one need to know how reliable it would be if someone decide to use it)

4 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
ichiban says

And how you plan to meet the server costs etc

It will be a paid service. I hope to offer small plans very cheaply and will reward loyal testers with free accounts. To start with though I’m footing the bill.

what happens if for some reason you decide to shut it down?

I certainly have no plans to do so and as long as people are using it there would be no reason to shut down. One could ask the same question of YouTube I suppose.

I think its a nice service but one need to know how reliable it would be if someone decide to use it

Thank you for the encouragement :) You are quite right to ask these questions.

80 posts
urbanray says

I certainly have no plans to do so and as long as people are using it there would be no reason to shut down. One could ask the same question of YouTube I suppose.

I think you cannot compare youtube with your site because they are very well established business model, while your site is totally new. Let assume 100 people decide to use it, and that does not meet your costs, so you decide to shut it down, so those 100 people who decided to use your service would be in trouble. (You might have seen so many image hosts getting shut down because of the costs).

I’m not saying anything in a negative way, just explained what I said in above post. Hope you get success with this, its an awesome start :)

5222 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+9 more
KingDog Staff says

Hey ichiban. Sorry to have to lock this thread down as the service is kind of in competition to our Microlancer service :)

by
by
by
by
by
by