922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says
Been recording visitor stats for our items that were on the home page. They get a lot more hits while on the home page, but not sales for some reason. Some items get more sales after they leave the home page. Cant figure out why. This is PHP scripts tho, could be different for templates.

This totally is contradicted by my experience here – sales while I’m on the homepage are 10x to 20x what they are a week later. The immediate boost by being on the homepage really is important to most authors. DDStudios is correct in his point that a cut in homepage time is directly related to a cut in sales.

However, as Jarel has suggested, this topic really has been discussed at length in a few other threads and I’m pretty sure that Jeffrey and the folks working on the upcoming re-design have taken these thoughts into account. Whether you choose to sandbag your products until then to see what happens is totally your call.

I personally try not to expect incredible sales with any product within the first week just because anything can happen (heaven forbid you released a WP theme at the same time Kreisi released Twicet, haha)... the fact is that this is a competitive marketplace and at any given day/week that you choose to release a product, you are taking a gamble over whether you would have done better releasing it earlier or later – not releasing any products at all guarantees that you won’t make any sales though. Also keep in mind that the uptick of new products at the marketplace is probably being reflected in an uptick in the number of interested buyers… I think the “long tail” (or rather, sales generated 1-6 months after the initial release) of any great author here will ultimately outweigh the sales that you make on the homepage, but I totally empathize with any irritation over being shuffled off the homepage by the parade of code snippets :)

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
PixelBin says

Which brings us to another point: ThemeForest needs to step up the quality of themes they accept here. I think the numerous threads complaining about rejected themes really softened up the reviewers, and now identical themes are slipping through that are stealing away sales from unique authors, and most of all, ThemeForest’s reputation.

385 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
uDesignStudios says
Which brings us to another point: ThemeForest needs to step up the quality of themes they accept here. I think the numerous threads complaining about rejected themes really softened up the reviewers, and now identical themes are slipping through that are stealing away sales from unique authors, and most of all, ThemeForest’s reputation.

+1 Just take a look at ht HTML section. There is a lot of files with 1-10 sales. I mean, yes, there are some really nice and unique themes that are selling well but honestly, there is a lot of mediocre material in that section that is literally stealing exposure from many others well crafted themes.

As many others have said, this is all mainly because marketplaces are growing really quickly, more people submit files, more files are being aprooved etc etc, but Im with the guys who mentioned that the new, higher quality level of aprooved files should be considered. In my opinion this would be beneficial for everyone involved: Rejected authors would have to work harder – they would improve their skills. Customers would be more satisifed – they wouldnt have to go through a bunch of files they are not so interested in. And TF would be recognized as a really-premium-content-only marketplace.

And as for the homepage… yes the tabs seems like a pretty fair solution to the problem that we are facing here.

by
by
by
by
by
by