• Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

@doru, here we sell licenses.

and?

what this has to do with what I talking about here?

128 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Romania
WebDraft says

@doru, here we sell licenses.

and?

what this has to do with what I talking about here?

Did you read what i said ? Not the first part “here we sell licenses”.

You just said : “product value is not equal with product price.”

And i gived you an answer. You can’t sell something at his real value.

767 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
outandouter says

There has been quite a confusion in this thread, so I’ll pitch in and try to describe doru’s point more clearly.

Theme 1:

Author: Highly experienced with obsession with detail, simplicity, and focus.

Design: Built on extremely high design standards with inimitable attention to details like typography, layout, usability, accessibility etc.

Code: Highly standards compliant code.

Feature set: A base theme with no extra bundled plugins, no bonus homepage styles or image rotators.

Price: $X

Theme 2:

Author: Just started making themes. Gathered enough experience / knowledge in a few months to understand ThemeForest’s base standards.

Design: Barely acceptable made by someone who primarily only codes.

Code: Barely acceptable and up to the standard.

Feature set: 100+ freely available plugins. 100+ image rotator styles. Bonus homepage styles with every possible iteration of the elements on the page.

Price: $X + ~ $10

What attracts regular buyers the most? Theme 1 or 2?

7177 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

outandouter example is close enough except about the quality part.

both items can be high quality

the second one has “more of everything” while the price doesn’t reflects the additional value so it doesn’t compete fair. With “fair” I’m talking about envato self proclaimed treatment of authors.

Did you read what i said ? Not the first part “here we sell licenses”.

You just said : “product value is not equal with product price.”

And i gived you an answer. You can’t sell something at his real value.

you are taking things too literarly, I can’t write a novel to explain each words I use.

by product value I mean his “value” relating with other marketplace items.

why is this not clear?

906 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+1 more
greenline says

I totally agree with you Doru.

I can understand why buyers want more features included in a single item, but then, as Doru said, the item price should reflect what’s inside.

We authors, should be allowed to upload simple, high-quality WordPress theme, for instance, with less features -> and then the price should reflect the content and the theme should cost 10$.

But we also should be allowed to upload themes at the same quality but with faaaar more features – but then(!) the price should reflect again what’s inside and the theme should cost 80$ for instance.

Now there are themes that costs both 40$ but the second one for instance includes far more features, so buyers will always buy that second one, instead of the first one, which is not fair.

(I like the comparison with the cars, it’s very suggestive)

767 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
outandouter says

both items can be high quality

I guess we can agree that owing to Envato’s quality standards, both items WILL be high quality.

At the same time, a theme can go well beyond being just high quality when its made by someone with inimitable design skills and focus. On the other hand, another decently experienced author can still make a decently high quality theme but not as high quality as the former author.

422 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Philippines
phpbits says

I think the problem is the pricing. Envato shouldn’t allow the items with more features to has lower pricing. You should give the other hard work a chance.

5755 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

(I like the comparison with the cars, it’s very suggestive)

Car example doesn’t fits for a feature rich item. Multiple cars can be compared to packs – not as features.

Regarding the non linear graph, that’s not too much abnormal. Atleast that’s how the marketplaces running for more than recent 4 years, this is nothing new.

Again if someone can exactly point a specific category and items with such features and compare how much difference in sales the feature rich ones do over remaining ones?

323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

when someone “copy/inspire” from other items BUT adds one million other customizations options available and then is priced just 5 or 10$ more.

I’ve noticed a theme we purchased a while back has spawned a whole load of almost direct copies. The copies come bundled with more plugins (not features) than our theme. As the copycat authors haven’t had to spend time developing the theme they can bundle in lots of extras and still make a profit.

I think the issue for customers is the long-term reliability of a theme where the author has literally just copied another authors code, and therefore isn’t going to be able to provide the same level of support and updates. In fact some of the ‘copy’ themes I’ve seen have since disappeared from TF, or haven’t been updated since release.

In this instance Envato should be protecting original authors work more effectively and stop allowing blatant copies to be sold on the marketplace, and protecting customers from buying dodgy products.

Again if someone can exactly point a specific category and items with such features and compare how much difference in sales the feature rich ones do over remaining ones?

As a customer I definitely check out the list of bundled features and plugins with a theme, and a theme that comes complete with a copy of Visual Composer, for example, will always catch our eye. However if that theme is from an author with bad feedback, infrequent updates and low ratings then they won’t get a sale as for us good support and updates wins out over bundled extras every time.

372 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
WPWiseOwl says

I think BUYERS will decide when enough is enough. Recently I’m starting to hear things like “to many features” and “feature overdose” from them :D

I see no problem with adding 500+ features so long as every one of those features can be disabled if desired. I personally dislike “feature overdose” themes that don’t provide me an easy way to slim them down. However, I realize this is a lot of work / easier said than done. ;-)

by
by
by
by
by
by