630 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says

Once a year since 2007 I have received a letter from the Webby Awards saying that I have been nominated but need to pay a £ridiculous amount to enter. ..is this something that has ever happened to you and if so, is it worth the bother/is it a big deal to be nominated?

I remember years ago when I used to play on AOL Hometown little awards were everywhere (a way of getting people to link to you), I know the Webby Awards don’t expect a link but they do want ¬£¬£…

..any thoughts ?

629 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
VagrantRadio says

They make you pay to enter? Um, no thanks.

960 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

Well what site are they nominating and for what reason? Seems odd you got it 3 years running. What do you win?

630 posts
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says

Thanks for the replies guys. Supposedly the Webby Awards is like the Academy Awards for web design: “The leading International award honoring excellence in interactive design, creativity, usability and functionality on the Internet”

I’m not sure what you win (if anything) but I’m surpised you’ve never heard of it.

382 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
blabus says

Yeah I too am really interested to see which of your sites has been nominated 3 years in a row.

2268 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

It is standard practice for webby awards to charge for nominees – no offense to you mate but it’s a canvasing letter – this is why the webby awards are a joke – if you have to pay to be included it’s all dependent on if you pay – nothing like being chosen or voted for like it should be.

Basically it means you can pay to get an award, and that is ALWAYS a bad idea.

630 posts
+2 more
RobbyDesigns says
no offense to you mate but it’s a canvasing letter – this is why the webby awards are a joke

Thanks Jonathan, I thought as much mate.

@blabus: I was nominated 3 years in a row for my own website http://www.robbydesigns.com which I am currently redesigning.

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

99.9% of these awards sites out there are pretty much just ways to trick designers to give the “contest owners” money… but the WEBBY ’s are actually a legitimate organization owned by AOL and the competition is incredibly steep. Being asked to participate is a huge honor, let alone winning.

http://www.webbyawards.com/

Check out some of this year’s competition (just one project I worked on this year made it under the Business Blog category):

http://webby.aol.com/

But yes, most awards sites out there are borderline fraudulent. The Webby awards and the FWA are the only serious sites that I can think of.

558 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+17 more
theMOLITOR says
Basically it means you can pay to get an award, and that is ALWAYS a bad idea.

Totally agree.

2268 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

As epicera stated the Webby’s although “legitimate” still charge for nominees – and I’m sorry that results in what has happened over the past few years with the Webby’s – same people / agencies etc voted every year because THEY PAY – you will note that when it started there were 15 categories – now? over 100 and that’s for one reason – more money.

Their rules are also ridiculous for an INTERNATIONAL award:

“While non-English speaking Websites are not explicitly forbidden, sites must be accessible to our predominantly English speaking judges.”

That statement alone tells you it’s not global.

Oh and btw – the Webby Awards are not owned by AOL at all, they are just a paying “partner” just like I said, the whole thing is simply a money machine. It’s run by a corporation called Recognition Media who own more “pay for entry” award systems – here is everything you need to know including who owns, how it works and criticisms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webby_Awards

Also a good read over at The Wall Street Journal:

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/05/07/the-annual-controversy-over-the-webby-awards/

Personally I think it’s useless – you know which award is best – happy customers – they paid YOU to make it! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by