894 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
infuse01 says

Ever had that client who claims he/she is a top webdesigner, but actually don’t have a clue about CSS or HTML not to mention JS? It is somehow funny to have those guys requesting support all the time. How do you handle that? Do you help them or ignore them? I mean from a serious perspective, isn’t that a insult to the real webdesigners?

Looking forward to your answers

407 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
PaddyTaylor says

I actually started a thread a while ago about this asking if these people have the right to call themselves developers or designers.

In our opinion it is degrading to professional developers, especially as I would bet that most people who buy and edit work from here rarely tell anyone it is a template.

Perhaps the most irritating thing is that as you rightfully said they then need support, but also because they are probably doing it on the cheap by using a template then it makes people think that what we do (properly) is a cheap and easy service that does not warrant proper fees.

The funniest for us is (and we are not getting into recent approval discussions etc), that there are a number of people on those threads saying “work is not unqiue enough”, “there is not enough choice” or the best... “Our client requires something different – so YOU need to create more creative designs”. Because of course even modifying themes, let alone creating ACTUAL work is beyond them

Just our opinions but thank you for raising this

2445 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+3 more
digitalimpact says

As much as I’m sick of such requests, they’re still paying customers. So as long as they don’t ask for customizations, I punch the wall, then offer support like for everyone else.

I’m sure OrganicBeeMedia would love to chime in, wouldn’t you Chris? :D

284 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
Shellbot says

It’s possible they are literally web DESIGNERS , and don’t usually need to know the development side (I know HTML etc aren’t really complicated but just playing devil’s advocate here, definition of “designer” seems to vary quite a bit), and they’ve just bought a theme to use on their own site since they don’t know anything about developing one themselves.

More likely they’re just being cheeky, of course.

7 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
nonexistent says

Ever had that client who claims he/she is a top webdesigner, but actually don’t have a clue about CSS or HTML not to mention JS? It is somehow funny to have those guys requesting support all the time. How do you handle that? Do you help them or ignore them? I mean from a serious perspective, isn’t that a insult to the real webdesigners? Looking forward to your answers

a front end developer is the one who must know HTML CSS and JS

a web designer has nothing to do with that, of course usually there two profession can overlap but if you look at professional level then a front end developer won’t sit down and design in photoshop and the designer will not touch the code, since they are specialized.

2445 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
+3 more
digitalimpact says

^ So can the specialized person please handle it?

Whatever their profession is, I’ll never find an excuse for people asking for small code changes/hints for their clients. Who takes on clients and doesn’t know how to change the color of a button, because they can’t find the CSS file (let alone the line in that file)...?

329 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

I fall into that category of ‘web designer’ who configures Wordpress themes. I think HTML and CSS is a must and can’t see how even a ‘configurer’ like myself can do without them as I prefer to always work in the HTML window in WP and often make CSS tweaks to the theme. I don’t know JS and have a basic understanding of PHP though and I always mean to delve deeper but haven’t gotten around to it. If I need help I’ll only ask an author privately as a favor and only if they care to.

Not knowing HTML and CSS is doing a disservice to a client’s website imo. I’ll be the first to agree that we’re already getting away with murder using these great themes, we can at least learn basic coding.

264 posts What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
Prothemeus says

I think if you are a webdesigner and create pixel-perfect designs, basic CSS knowledge is a must as most developers do not have an eye for pixel-perfect styling details (margins, padding, text effects etc.).

3236 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+1 more
organicbee says

I’m sure OrganicBeeMedia would love to chime in, wouldn’t you Chris? :D

I keep extra dry wall around the house because of these people….(joking)

If you use the term “web design/dev” in your title you must at least no CSS /HTML. If not you’re just a graphic designer, UX/UI designer doesn’t matter if all you design is specifically for the web.

If you have a web design degree you’re taught CSS , JS,HTML and even server side language though most dedicated design programs don’t go deep into server side languages.

now what Infuse is talking about is a bit different I think Id call them a degraded webmaster.

Either way they’re buyers and if you support your themes you need to support them, if they want something completely customized say they need to hire a freelancer or learn how to do it.

894 posts
+5 more
infuse01 says

a front end developer is the one who must know HTML CSS and JS a web designer has nothing to do with that, of course usually there two profession can overlap but if you look at professional level then a front end developer won’t sit down and design in photoshop and the designer will not touch the code, since they are specialized.

Don’t agree. A Webdesigner is a mixture of a designer and a developer. It’s exactly the kind who builds up a website on his/her own – without the need of a freelancer or anyone else. You’re talking about Frontend Developer and Graphic Designer or maybe even UI Designer. But the kind of people who sells websites to their clients for low and claiming they are webdesigner are IMHO only Web Consultants or “Configurer” at the very best.

I agree fully with DigitalImpact. I always need to laugh if someone wants on-site support and then I read “Webdesigner and SEO Guru” or similar. I ask myself always how those guys are going to support their clients in the long run. It’s just weird :/

by
by
by
by
by
by