922 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

We’re starting to post weekly web-design related poll questions over at “Webdesigntuts+” http://webdesign.tutsplus.com and I figure this may be of interest to the forum here since last week’s poll prompted some great discussion (Fireworks vs. Photoshop, Which Do You Use?).

This week’s poll is about web-design education: What Kind of Web Design Training Do You Have? . Post your own answer at the poll and post a response either here on the forum or at the comments thread if you’d like to share your own thoughts.

I’ll be leaving each of these polls open for about a month, and in the future we’ll be combining special polls with contests, prizes, etc. :) The goal is to help foster community among the vast array of talented designers (and learners) here, and it’s also just a fun way to see what other web designers are up to by tracking the results.

Cheers! Brandon

397 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Monkify says

I voted, but I’ll post my response here. Hopefully we can get all of the TF authors here posting their answers as well. :)

I’m completely self-taught, and hadn’t even read a design book until earlier this year. For a long time I really didn’t realize how complex web design was, especially when dealing with user interfaces in general. In the past couple years I’ve opened my eyes up to what design really is, so I’ve definitely improved my work in that case.

My partner on the other hand goes to University and has had some extensive background in front-end coding and also programming. I’d say he’s a blend between self-taught and schooled, since he practices a lot on his own time and reads books, tutorials, etc.

922 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

@Monkify : Feel free to post here or at the comments thread over there – I’ll probably start posting links to the forum threads here if it generates enough interest from our authors.

The funny thing about learning web design is that if you never go through the formal education process, you tend to wonder what you’re missing (even though you can learn 100% of what’s in the classroom online or from a book)... My own experience of going through the classes is that some people just like to learn from a real life instructor.

You’re always going to end up needing to learn additional material online, but some people just like the structure of a classroom. Whether or not that’s worth the $$$ it costs to go to college is up to the individual, but it’s worth noting that I’ve never once been asked whether or not I have a degree in nearly a decade working in the field ;)

397 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Monkify says

@Monkify : Feel free to post here or at the comments thread over there – I’ll probably start posting links to the forum threads here if it generates enough interest from our authors.

The funny thing about learning web design is that if you never go through the formal education process, you tend to wonder what you’re missing (even though you can learn 100% of what’s in the classroom online or from a book)... My own experience of going through the classes is that some people just like to learn from a real life instructor.

You’re always going to end up needing to learn additional material online, but some people just like the structure of a classroom. Whether or not that’s worth the $$$ it costs to go to college is up to the individual, but it’s worth noting that I’ve never once been asked whether or not I have a degree in nearly a decade working in the field ;)

So you don’t have a degree?

I’ve always been someone who requires to learn from experiencing something. If someone tells me that a drink tastes gross for example, I need to try it myself to believe them. So the only way I can learn the best way to execute a design is from trial and error, and engraving those mistakes in my head. So it’s safe to assume that I’m not the school type of person. :)

922 posts
+13 more
MDNW says

@Monkify: I have a BAA degree in Graphic Design (minor in Marketing) that I completed last year, but only after I dropped out for nearly 5 years and learned most of the web-design specific stuff on my own… so I kinda had a taste of it all (self teaching, taking individual courses, and college curriculum). Going to class was never my strong suit though, and I got docked a grade or two in nearly every class I took for not showing up :P, hehe.

And I think a lot of web designers are “learn by doing” kind of people – it’s hard to really learn this kind of stuff from a book alone… but practicing it day in and day out is the best way to improve.

1383 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 10+ members Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
wpCanyonThemes says

Hmmm, i have scanned almost all of the tutorials on webdesign.tutsplus.com, that’s all the training i got for now :)

922 posts
+13 more
MDNW says

Hmmm, i have scanned almost all of the tutorials on webdesign.tutsplus.com, that’s all the training i got for now :)

LOL – I approve ;)

1029 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
    Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+10 more
Parallelus says

I have a BIND , Bachelors of Industrial Design.

I think learning about product design and how people interact with products was very important in my application of those ideas in web design, although it’s not an area of industrial design. The degree focuses a lot on user interface design principals, concepts of graphic design, product design, packaging and also is closely tied to marketing. From what I’ve heard, a lot of people with industrial design degrees end up doing web design.

469 posts
    Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
SaurabhSharma says

Having done Bachelor in Computer Science and Master in Computer Applications, It gave me a sound base of Computer programming with Physics and Maths involved. My specialization was in J2EE . That’s till I completed my college.

But actual story starts after that. I was very much fond of creative work. I started learning from online resources, personal testing, contests. Believe it or not guys, I have gone through a lot of spec work via various contests. Almost created 100 Logos (Won 10 out of them).

Envato has played a big role in taking my design skills to the next level. Tuts+ network, Marketplaces and Envato websites showed me a new level of quality. It was only then I knew what latest trends are.

There is no limit/age of learning. I will continue to learn and improve as long as I can. :)

OFF TOPIC : @Epicera. I knew you were contributing handful of tutorials on Webdesigntuts+. But didn’t knew you became Envato Staff. When? :) :D Congratulations upon that.

235 posts themesdepot.org
    Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Won a Most Wanted contest Has referred 10+ members
+6 more
ThemesDepot says

I’m 100% self-taught from books and online resources.

School and university sucks in italy. That’s all.

I’d love to have the opportunity to study in american or british colleges :(

by
by
by
by
by
by