23 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
SoSoMedia says

No teacher can manage the pace of a natural born designer… He shall teach himself :)...

StefanoGiliberti
StefanoGiliberti Recent Posts Threads Started
32 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
StefanoGiliberti says

100% self-taught from online resources.

School and university sucks in italy. That’s all.

Concordo :)

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

Thanks for the responses so far everyone! With over 1,100 results posted so far, over 60% of people report being completely self-taught. I think that’s amazing… and it speaks volumes about how easy it is to pick up web design if you’re willing to put some time into it to hunt down the resources ;)

What’s even more interesting is that a lot of the “school taught” designers are commenting on how school didn’t teach them the technical stuff as much as it taught about basic communication/marketing/business principles (which I’ll note also have plenty of online resources available).

562 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

I think that’s amazing… and it speaks volumes about how easy it is to pick up web design if you’re willing to put some time into it to hunt down the resources ;)

I think it also speaks volumes about why there are so many horrible websites out there :-p

2324 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
CreativeMilk says

I think that’s amazing… and it speaks volumes about how easy it is to pick up web design if you’re willing to put some time into it to hunt down the resources ;)
I think it also speaks volumes about why there are so many horrible websites out there :-p

lol, sad to say but its true

397 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Monkify says

+1 :) Everyone starts off somewhere though, but too many ‘designers’ aren’t in it for the passion and making better experiences. They just find it ‘cool’ or think it’s an easy way to make money.

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

Lolz – true story.

131 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Portugal
eddiesaints says

+1 :) Everyone starts off somewhere though, but too many ‘designers’ aren’t in it for the passion and making better experiences. They just find it ‘cool’ or think it’s an easy way to make money.

x2 that one! :D

I’m 100% self-taught, I started 3 years ago uploading some designs I did just for the fun over deviantART (http://edumicro.deviantart.com). Them I never stopped. :D

Design for me is about passion for what you do, to know that someone will like to see your work.

And of course that design is something serious, and that’s why I’ve started to learn more theory stuff lately. But tbh almost everything I learn was by “trial and error”.

Today I’m trying to improve my skills, since I think that I need to improve a lot yet. :P

by
by
by
by
by
by