businesswebsitedev_com
businesswebsitedev_com Recent Posts
Threads Started
23 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Philippines
businesswebsitedev_com says

Hello, if this is posted in the wrong place, please let me know so I can move it.

I wanted to report a major issue that I have mentioned before.

I know that Envato is a marketplace that ONLY introduces seller to buyer, but the description is on your website and users such as us lose almost all trust in your marketplace when items are clearly described incorrectly and Envato are unwilling to do anything about it.

The main issue I have found is the Documentation field found on all themeforest items. It seems to always state “Well Documented”. This causes a problem as most of the themes I have bought are not Well Documented and barely scrape it as “Pathetically Documented”.

Take for example, the latest theme we purchased [link removed – forum rules]

You will see that it states “Well Documented”. Yet when we look at the documentation, it does not document the theme options or how you would create different types of pages (which are controlled within the theme options). The grammar is absolutely horrific, which could easily be fixed by running an automated grammar check in a word processing system. However, the grammar is not the main issue.

This type of blatant incorrect description is tantamount to fraud as the person creating the description must surely know that the theme is not “Well Documented”. How they could think it is well documented is beyond me as it skips huge sections.

To make matters worse, the seller has even confirmed that the documentation is sub-standard. They have started to create a new set of documents and credit to them, but all the while, the description stated “Well Documented’. In fact, I have never, ever seen any theme on themeforest that did not state “well documented”. It is almost like a default setting.

I am left wondering if I should leave envato entirely, which is not what I want to do. Thus, I am putting this in the forum to see what envato will do about these serious issues.

Please note that the theme I used above is an example, this issue effects all themes I have seen as none of them that I bought were documented fully, however most of them were very well documented. Only a few of them are very poorly documented.

My question is this: What will envato do to ensure that descriptions are correct?

businesswebsitedev_com
Threads Started
23 posts
  • Philippines

Heck, why not just tell me what the issue is instead of removing it. That only makes the issue worse. Tell me what I did wrong and I will happily re-edit it to conform.

512 posts
AlexFjord says

All they did was remove the link to the file you are discussing we may not “call out” or highlight tin a promotional or defamatory way any authors or files in specific

626 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
Dream-Theme says

Hey businesswebsitedev_com,

I just wanted to let you know that authors are not setting that “Well Documented” thing. As far as I can reckon – that is the reviewers task. And criteria of “Well Documented” remains mystery for me… It seems that everything that has more that 2 page get that “Well Documented” statement.

On the other hand reviewer physically cannot read through all the manuals (E.g. for some of our themes we have almost 100 pages manuals). So the wisest thing for Envato will be removing “Well Documented” statement and for buyers – to ask a copy of manual before purchasing.

P.S. ^ Just IMO

businesswebsitedev_com
Threads Started
23 posts
  • Philippines

All they did was remove the link to the file you are discussing we may not “call out” or highlight tin a promotional or defamatory way any authors or files in specific

Doh! Silly me. Sorry, my bad. However I did state that it was merely an example as almost all other themes are the same. Thank you for clarifying that.

businesswebsitedev_com
Threads Started
23 posts
  • Philippines
I just wanted to let you know that authors are not setting that “Well Documented” thing. As far as I can reckon – that is the reviewers task. And criteria of “Well Documented” remains mystery for me… It seems that everything that has more that 2 page get that “Well Documented” statement.

Indeed, it does seem to be that way.

On the other hand reviewer physically cannot read through all the manuals (E.g. for some of our themes we have almost 100 pages manuals). So the wisest thing for Envato will be removing “Well Documented” statement and for buyers – to ask a copy of manual before purchasing.

Absolutely and I do not expect the envato team to read all manuals. However when you contact envato about an issue like this, which I have done, they simply do not seem to care and repeat the same line about it only being a marketplace.

I would expect envato to take action against items that are incorrectly described on such a vital area as how well the documentation has been prepared.

Imagine if you bought an electronic item from a shop and it stated that it came with full documentation, yet it came with a leaflet that provided very scant information on how the item worked. You went back to the shop and they explained that they only introduce customers to suppliers and manage the payment, they refuse to assist in obtaining proper documentation or asking the supplier to change the box so that it does not state that a book of documentation is included when there is only a leaflet.

The issue with the documentation has led me to buy from other locations. I simply can not ask every single theme developer who makes our list to provide the documentation so that I can read through it. Even if I did, I would have no idea if it covered all areas until I had the theme by which point it is too late, the developer is refusing to do anything about it now and envato refuse to do anything. Where am I left?

businesswebsitedev_com
Threads Started
23 posts
  • Philippines

I must have scan read what you said. That is an awesome idea. Remove the “Well Documented” and instead replace it with data on the documentation such as number of pages, is every field mentioned in the documentation, is every page mentioned in the documentation etc. This way a user would easily be able to tell what state the documentation is in. Even better yet, provide a link to it so that envato do not need to host it and so that users can see it before buying.

Envato could even have a support system on their server so that they can show customers how many tickets have been created and resolved in the last month as well as the average response time from the developer.

businesswebsitedev_com
Threads Started
23 posts
  • Philippines

Yup its late, I missed another part of what you said

authors are not setting that “Well Documented” thing. As far as I can reckon – that is the reviewers task.

That is horrific as it means that Envato are making fraudulent claims about the theme. I had no idea it was envato reviewers who were making that statement. OUCH!

Guess we will wait to see if Envato want to make a statement about this procedure and their plans to make it remotely accurate.

4594 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+6 more
KingDog Staff says

We certainly don’t want to misrepresent a product, and if the item is tagged as “well documented” then it should be. We’ll bring it up in the Community report so we can discuss how we can improve it. Thanks!

419 posts
  • Austria
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
iHelp says

if an author has tagged his item as “well documented” then it should be.

Authors don’t tag it, reviewers do.

by
by
by
by
by
by