213 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Located in Belgium
+3 more
Playnethemes says

Also I feel that the following is important: The reviewers do not have time to read trough each and every pfd, txt file etc. As such they (presumably) only check to see if there is indeed a documentation file present in the download.

Unless they (Envato) hire extra staff to check said documentation it is not possible to check, with certainty, wether or not an item is indeed well documented.

All this aside: I do think authors should take responsability for it and make sure they document their items properly :)

businesswebsitedev_com
businesswebsitedev_com Recent Posts Threads Started
23 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Philippines
businesswebsitedev_com says

We certainly don’t want to misrepresent a product, and if an author has tagged his item as “well documented” then it should be. We’ll bring it up in the Community report so we can discuss how we can improve it. Thanks!

Thank you. It is a major issue as I do not think anyone can trust it. I do not want to go elsewhere and I think it is something that REALLY should have been addressed when I reported it last.

businesswebsitedev_com
23 posts
  • Located in Philippines

if an author has tagged his item as “well documented” then it should be.
Authors don’t tag it, reviewers do.

Err which is it? Surely the staff should know?

businesswebsitedev_com
23 posts
  • Located in Philippines

Also I feel that the following is important: The reviewers do not have time to read trough each and every pfd, txt file etc. As such they (presumably) only check to see if there is indeed a documentation file present in the download.

I absolutely agree. However, the point here is the refusal by Envato to do anything at all. The least that they could have done is check the documentation and adjust the rating from “Well Documented” to something that better describes it.

I am not saying that Envato should check every single support item manually as it would be a nightmare, but they should investigate reports that show the documentation is extremely poor.

All this aside: I do think authors should take responsability for it and make sure they document their items properly :)

Agreed, it is always the minority who spoil it. However, it is useless if (like in this case) they state that the documentation is being written again. Thats great, but of no use at all to me now as I have to back engineer the theme just to get it to work.

businesswebsitedev_com
23 posts
  • Located in Philippines

We certainly don’t want to misrepresent a product, and if an author has tagged his item as “well documented” then it should be. We’ll bring it up in the Community report so we can discuss how we can improve it. Thanks!

So, with all due respect, who is really responsible for the “well documented” section in the description and what action will Envato take about it? I am still left with a number of themes that have very very poor documentation which we are having issues with. It was the latest theme that really pushed me to make this post as you refused point blank to take any action last time I reported it to you apart from providing a refund, which was nice, but of little use as I wanted to use the theme. No action was taken to ensure that you investigated future reports to maintain an accurate marketplace.

3325 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Kingdogs drunk, authors dont have the ability to mark the documentation

p.s Kingdogs not drunk

92 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
e8j1osla says

And it will take time for reviewers to read each and every documents, thus slowing down the other items waiting to be reviewed.

businesswebsitedev_com
23 posts
  • Located in Philippines

And it will take time for reviewers to read each and every documents, thus slowing down the other items waiting to be reviewed.

please read previous messages. This has already been covered and this is certainly not what I have asked for or something that should be done due to the time restraints as you correctly point out. However, Envato should take action.

businesswebsitedev_com
23 posts
  • Located in Philippines

Kingdogs drunk, authors dont have the ability to mark the documentation

p.s Kingdogs not drunk

That is worrying as the only person marked as STAFF to reply seems to have replied with incorrect information. Heck everyone makes mistakes so its not an issue, but surely staff should know the routine.

So the staff do seem to input the status of documentation. With that in mind, what does the documentation need to be like for it to be listed as anything less than “well documented”? Are there ANY themes on here that are not listed as Well Documented? I do not think I have ever seen a single one.

2293 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Actually Envato do not just rate the help file / documentation they also set the bar because they provide (or at least used to) example documentation for authors to use as a starting point – therefore I would of thought that anything beyond their documentation example template provided would be considered ‘well documented’.

But yes I agree that basically they shouldn’t be the ones stating this as it isn’t reviewed as such therefore it’s a blind statement possibly based on a quick open and close which would be silly as it’s the content that provides good documentation, not the number of pages for example.

I for one would not however want to show my full documentation prior to a purchase for all those naughty people that steal things – that’s giving them the manual for a product they didn’t buy and therefore I have my choice not to show it in full – however I would be more than welcomed to upload a ‘sample’ of the documentation people could look at freely prior to purchase without me giving everything away.

Jonathan

by
by
by
by
by
by